Opinions on Abre los Ojos vs Vanilla Sky?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_Garris, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

I saw Abre los Ojos in school, and just today bought and watched Vanilla Sky. I liked the Abre los Ojos better. The story was handed to you at the end in Vanilla Sky, something that turns me off big time. So, anyone else care to share their .02 cents?

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I think that Abre Los Ojos is a rather mediocre attempt at a thriller. It creates almost no emotion towards any of the characters, and there's especially no spark whatsoever between the Cesar and his supposed love interest.
    I find Vanilla Sky, on the other hand, to be a very emotional film that creates (and sustains) great tension (and romance, where appropriate) between the characters. Whereas in Abre Los Ojos, I was lost as to why Cesar and Sofia felt anything for one another, I could completely understand how David and Sofia fell in love in Vanilla Sky. In Crowe's film, David and Sofia were meaningful characters instead of cardboard cutouts being used to achieve Amenabar's interesting, but rather uninspired, surprise ending. Amenabar was interested mainly in the ending, while I think Crowe was interested in the journey. I responded to the latter much more than the former.
    In the end, Abre Los Ojos felt like the pitch for Vanilla Sky: a completely flat script that needed to be fleshed out into a real movie.
    DJ

3. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

Agreed. Nonetheless, I liked both films just the ending in Vanilla Sky turned me off a little.

4. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I rented Abre Los Ojos a day or two after seeing Vanilla Sky and being blown away by it. Since I watched the original so quickly after the remake, I was surprised at both the similarities and the differences.

What I found intriguing is that the explanations that were given in both films as to what was happening were done differently. In Abre Los Ojos, I thought it was actually spelled out (and shown!) more than in Vanilla Sky, which goes against the grain of American remakes spelling things out more and simplifying them.

Overall, I prefer the remake. The story is basically the same, but it's better told by Crowe than Amenabar. IMO, of course.

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I have gave my opinions several times, so I'm going to keep it short and sweet.
    Open Your Eyes is a MARVELOUS & SUPERUB FILM!
    Vanilla Sky is a bastardized version

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Although I find Abre Los Ojos far more mysterious and creepy than its big-budget counterpart, there is much that I enjoy and admire about the remake. For one, the increased budget allows for a grander scale which I feel suits the film well.
    I really dislike is when posters just blankly recommend the original, and say stuff like: "The remake is crap." The simple fact is, it's almost the same film. Much of the dialogue is similar. The structure is identical, and
    even the shot composition is very close. You'll find a lot of people that just dismiss the remake point blank. They point out that the acting is flat, that there is no tension, and that thesoundtrack demystifies the on-screen
    action. My own personal view is that the two-films are better seen as companions to each other, rather than a remake and an original.
    All the following judgements are made with the original in mind.
    The remake's strengths:
    Tom Cruise gives a very charismatic performace, and IMO is ewll-suited to the role.
    Impressive sense of style, bigger budget that affords a more complete world for the characters to inhabit, and a good soundtrack, even though it doesn't quite fit the movie.
    The remake's flaws:
    Picking Cruz over Diaz is more implausible than the equivalent choice in Abre Los Ojos.
    The last 20 minutes is bogged down in the most annoyingly comprehensive exposition ever.
    There have been loads of good threads discussing the differences between the two films. A simple serach on one title or the other should land you the appropriate links.

7. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I prefer the original to the remake. I think one of the mistakes that Crowe made was casting Jason Lee as the lead actor's buddy. In the original, I got the sense of the average joe niceguy who gets his girlfriend stolen by his more handsome friend. I really felt sympathy for the poor guy. This lost in Vanilla Sky, since Lee is known in his roles as a brash, confident loudmouth who's not afraid to speak his mind, which in my mind is a flaw.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

10. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Diaz was a lot more attractive than the character in the original. In the original, the girl was much "harsher-looking" and was a bigger contrast to Cruz.

Something else I liked better about the original was the main character was more vain in the original. In Vanilla Sky, Tom Cruise has to point out to the doctors that he didn't care about his looks, just his headaches--which to me, just rang like a powerful Hollywood actor wanting his character to seem more likeable. The original did a better job of portraying this guy's fall from grace.

However, I did like Vanilla Sky quite a bit. I saw Open You Eyes first, so it's hard for me to know what I liked better. I lean toward Open Your Eyes, since the story was so fresh & exciting to me then. But if I had seen Vanilla Sky first, I might feel differently.

12. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Now you're just being argumentative. [​IMG]

16. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Generally I liked Abre Los Ojos better than Vanilla Sky. The latter was altogether too "soundtracky"- it's like Cameron Crowe was trying to see how many songs he could cram into a single scene. That said, Cameron Diaz was far more electric in the remake and every scene she was in tended to overshadow the same scenes in Abre Los Ojos .

17. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

18. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

The music Crowe put into Vanilla Sky is a great addition to the film in my opinion and yeah it is real "soundtracky" but why does that have to be a bad thing. In this film and his others it seems like it is a good thing because the music is good. Now if the music took away from the film or was not good music I can see your point. Of course "good" music is an opinion isn't it? But I do like to think that truly "good" music is the kind that can be appreciated by us all, and Crowe as a talent for finding that music.

-Eric