Opinions on 42-47" Tabletop 4:3 RPTV's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by glenn.arsenault, Feb 12, 2003.

1. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

As a temporary step, I am considering purchasing a 42-47" Tabletop 4:3 RPTV. Currently, cable in my area does not offer HDTV progamming and the weather discounts the ability to install a DirectTV dish and outside antenna for OTA broadcasts. So, in lieu of commiting serious cash to a 65" Wide Screen now, I am considering 4:3 tabletop models that can be moved to a secondary room, when we have the capability to receive a decent signal worthwhile of a large 16:9 set.

Any opinions on current and economical 42-47" Tabletop 4:3 RPTV's?
    Thanks
    Glenn

2. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Whats your price range?

3. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

Around $1500

4. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I got this TV www.tinyurl.com/5tb7 for $1600. Its wide screen and high definition. I know you said you didnt want all of that, but if your going to spend that much on a standard set might as well go with this one. With the wide zoom feature, 4X3 material looks good, there are other zoom/stretch modes you might prefer, but with many shows being broadcast with letter boxing it only shows the picture not the letter boxing.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Take a look at the Toshiba 43H72. Hitachi might also have a current competing model although I'm not sure. Make sure it's this year's model though.

If price is the only reason you're sticking w/ a 4x3, then you might want to consider a few inexpensive 16x9's also. For example, you should be able to get a Panny 47wx42 w/ your budget or maybe a Tosh 42H82. The latter would be preferable if you do need something small. Of course, these 16x9's are not tabletop TVs.

_Man_

6. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator