What's new

Opinions om my proposed HT setup? (1 Viewer)

TylerCrawford

Auditioning
Hello folks. I've been reading lots on this site and others and have finally decided on my HT setup that I'll be purchasing in the next month or so. Here's what I'm thinking"

TV- Toshiba 27AF42 27" Flat Screen
DVD - Panasonic S35
Speakers - Fluance SX-HTB (with banana plugs)
Sub - Not sure, planning on purchasing one in a few months after I save a bit more
Receiver - Not sure on this one, I'm kinda waiting to pick up something used/refurb like an Onkyo, Pioneer or HK.

Any input on this stuff would be great. I've read lots of reviews and I think this will give me good quality in my price range. Thanks!

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I would get a Sony or Samsung TV over the Toshiba, as they have a 16:9 enhanced "squeeze" mode that will make your DVD's look significantly better.

I think the newest JVS also have a 16:9 mode.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Well - whatever you decide on - make sure you pick up your receiver first as it'll usually dictate what you can do on your speakers end. And besides, I think that would be the most frustrating thing in the world to have your new speakers without anything to drive them!

Oh yeah - you might also want to look into the Axioms if you can afford them. That would be a good increase in performance for a little bit more $$$.

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Ernest. But, I think that once you get the TV you'll kick yourself in the butt for not getting a larger one. Depending on the size of the room I think the smallest you should have is a 32". When you have a HT, in my opinion, you want a balance between the size of the sound and TV. If you have large sound and a tiny TV you lose the effect of being immersed in the movie. If your budget does not fit in a larger TV then I recomend saving for one. Be patient, don't rush into buying something less because you don't have enough money right now.

I also want to recomend the Pioneer VSX-D812 because it's inexpensive and you get 7.1 DD ES/ DTS EX with component/ s-video inputs and 4 digital inputs. The only downfall is its amplifier. It seems a little weak and 1% THD. But if your just begining then this is a perfect receiver for you.

Good Luck!

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Yeah - I agree w/ the 32" suggestion. 27"s are so commonplace now and the jump from a 27" to a 32" is pretty big.

If you do want to save up for some better gear - which I would HIGHLY recommend (b/c you'll tire of the low midend gear fairly quickly) getting a 32" TV w/ a decent DVD player to start out w/. Then you can watch your DVDs and etc while saving up for the receiver and the speakers. If you get a bunch of cheaper stuff - it might be really cool at first but then once you realize what you're missing, you'll have to upgrade again.

I have a Sony DA4ES w/ some Polk Audio speakers(which just don't cut it IMO) and now I'm in the process of packing this stuff up and getting a set of Paradigms and an SVS. And I've just had these speakers for around 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks