Opinions of NAD amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike LS, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm seriously considering the NAD C270 stereo amps for a new system I'm putting together.
    I plan to audition them soon, but wanted to get some owner opinions.

The few reviews I've been able to find of them are pretty good, and I've had a few dealers recommend them to me, so my view of them is good thus far.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them? How dependable are they? Have any experience dealing with NAD on repairs?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

NAD is an undervalued company. They build very good equipment, do not charge an arm and a leg for it. Always the top choice in the “audiophile on a budget” ratings.

I have 2 of the 214 model amps. They are rated at 80wpc and play 2,4 or 8 ohm loads just fine. I have run Martin Logan’s, Maggies and some others on the amps.

The 270 is the replacement for the 214. I have used NAD for some 20 years for various things I have never had any problems with any NAD equipment. I know that the early HT receivers had some problems, but understand that is fixed. As for repairs, well I never have had to have anything repaired, so I can not comment directly. Only one person I know has ever had to have a unit repaired, that was an old CD player. It did take some time, but they upgraded the unit for the repair cost only.

Taking a few things into consideration, I would say the NAD performed as well as an ATI amp I had in an HT system.

One thing that has always impressed me about NAD amps, in stereo or bridged mono, they sound the same, no change. Just good clean output.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I have an NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with an NAD C 270 power amp in my main stereo system and an NAD C 350 integrated amp in my second system. They are great amps for the money. In the main system, I used the C 370 alone for a year before adding the C 270. As good as the C 370 is, biamping with the C 270 improved everything. The treble is smoother, and the soundstage is wider and more layered with the C 270 in place.

How are you planning on using the C 270? Are you going to connect a CD player with volume control directly, use a separate pre-amp, or biamp with an integrated amp?

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'm planning on useing them to power an HT. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to use as a source, but with the money I have available I'll probably wind up using a mid/high end receiver as a processor.

5. Michael Roderiques

If you are thinking about an HT system, you may want to look at the new T-752 receiver from NAD.

I understand that a new T-762 will follow soon. My guess is it will offer a bit more power and maybe a few more features then the T-752.

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I haven't looked at any of the NAD receivers yet. Honestly, I'm going to need seperates in the room that I'm using....it's pretty big, and I'm going to want to go with a full 7.1 setup to cover the room better. I may even have to matrix another set of sides to fill the gaps, but I'm not sure yet.

Any opinions of using the NAD 752 as a processor?

7. Michael Roderiques

Mike Here is a link to NAD web site and the new T-752 Receiver. It has a nice feature package, with out a lot of junk. Using it as a pre/pro would be fine. I think as a receiver it will surprise you. As a bonus, I don't think you will find an HT receiver that will perform as well on music as the NAD units.
    http://www.nadelectronics.com/Receiver/T752.html
    IF you really need and want power to run some speakers, see if the dealers have any of these amps. This has to be one of the most unknown deals in the HT world.
    http://www.nadelectronics.com/Amp/218THXHT.html
    These boys are a bit big, had I not had a space issue, I would have used them in my HT system. The SAF on that was way down as well, big rack, lots of wire.
    One thing I will note about NAD and power ratings. NAD always rates full power ALL channels driven. If it says 80Wpc, it is. read the specs. My 214 amps are rated at 80Wpc, I have run Martin Logan and Maggies on them just fine, two of the most power hungry speakers I could think of.
    I did a demo of the ML's and Maggies side by side with two amps, then bridged them mono for more testing. It's not often that the Wife says WOW.

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Do you know what a "real" price would be on those amps? I've found the 270 at a little over $400 each. I've going to need 4 of them and my budget for amps and receiver/processor is $3000 tops (I'd actually like to stay around $2500)

The NAD receiver actually fits my budget a little better. I had been looking at the Sherwood/Newcastle R-863, but it runs in the $1000 - $1200 range. I found the NAD for $899 from an authorized dealer (or so they said).

9. Michael Roderiques

Mike 4 amps would be 8 channels, do you need 8 channels?

The NAD 218 amps list for like $1299. I am sure if you made a deal with your dealer for a T-752 and 3 or 4 amps you could get a very nice price.

What dealer are you working with?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,
    Where did you find the C 270 for around $400? That's a great price, as it lists for $600. I bought mine for $525 from Sound City (1-800-370-3156; www.soundcity.com). They are an authorized dealer.
    Michael,
    Actually, I think NAD tends to be a bit conservative with its power ratings. NAD rates the C 350 integrated amp at 60W x 2, but two British magazines measured it at 95W x 2 (continous power into 8 ohms) last year. Also, I read last year in a British magazines that the C 370 integrated amp can put out 185W x 2 into 8 ohms, but that may not have been continuous power. Regardless, it would not surprise if the 120W x 2 figure quoted by NAD for the C 370 were conservative.
    All,
    I am intrigued by two new power amps coming from NAD. The CI 9060 will be a six-channel amp, and the CI 9120 will be a 12-channel amp. Here are links:
    CI 9060:
    http://www.nadelectronics.com/Amp/CI9060.html
    CI 9120:
    http://www.nadelectronics.com/Amp/CI9120.html
    NAD rates the CI 9120 at 75W x 12 into 6 ohms. It will weigh 60 lbs. Note that these are stated to be provisional specs. on NAD's web site.

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

12. Michael Roderiques

Mike PSB's for speakers. They have some very nice models that sound great. What models are you looking at?

I think you may find that the C270 will power the PSB speakers just fine, and will sound nice too.
    PSB and NAD are the same company.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have Totem Arro floorstanders in my main system that have a sensitivity rating of 85 dB. They are 4-ohm speakers. The NAD C 370 integrated had no problem driving them, but as I said, adding the C 270 power amp improved everything.

14. Michael Roderiques

15. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

16. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

PSB and NAD are two ENTIRELY different companies. They are imported to North America by the same company.

As for NAD's amp, unsurpassed value IMO. I've owned a C340 integrated for almost two years and have never had a problem with it. I owned a C370 for about six months and somewhat regretfully sold it for a Musical Fidelity Amp. I say somewhat because it was such a great amp at it's price and almost as good as the MF at 2/3 the price.

Keith H,

If only NAD had a mutlichannel amp out before I purchased the Rotel 1075! Now they need a pre/pro in their classic series to match! BTW, what's up 9fold! I knew the name and system sounded familiar!

BillB

17. Michael Roderiques

Bill
    In the mid 1980s, PSB became part of the Lenbrook Group of Companies (www.lenbrook.com), a diversified business development firm with long experience marketing and distributing electronics-based products ranging from high-end audio component lines such as Bang & Olufsen, KEF, Marantz, and NAD to wireless communications products from companies like E. F. Johnson, Motorola, and Uniden. Founded in 1978 by the Simmonds family and a group of dynamic employee stockholders, Lenbrook has significant business relationships with some amazing organizations which include AMP, Goldpeak, Kash N Gold, Wilson, Datumtech, Sevin Rosen Funds, ComSpace, Bell Mobility, Disney, Solarex, etc., etc. In the early 1980s, Lenbrook founded Clearnet, now a public company with substantial holdings by Lenbrook, Motorola, and Nextel, which is currently constructing the next generation of digital wireless communications networks across Canada. The Lenbrook Group's depth and expertise in marketing specialized electronic products, their widespread distribution in North America, and their growing presence overseas add up to an ideal match in which Paul Barton can concentrate on design and manufacture with confidence that PSB products will successfully find their market. And now, with Lenbrook's purchase of NAD Electronics, there will be a clear path for a synergistic connection between PSB's performance/value combination in speakers and NAD's "pure and simple" embodiment of the same qualities in audio and home theater electronics.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

Thanks for sharing the information. You are very knowledgable on this subject.

Bill said:

19. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Keith,
    I owned the A3 integrated. That and the C370 were the only two pieces of audio equipment I ever felt bad selling, as weird as that sounds. I've (GASP!) gone back to the idea of and music/ht integrated system due to space issues. I've tried to put audio first and decided to go for Rotel separates, keep my Rega Planet 2000 CD, and stick with Vienna Acoustics speakers all around. The room will be done by Nov and I'll get picks up shortly after.

Cheers!
    Bill

20. Michael Roderiques

Bill Vienna all around. what models?

I was up at sumiko, and had the chance to listen to a full Vienna system. I like what I listened to, very nice.

A former co-worker is using Vienna for the front, Mozart for L/R and the matching center.