Opinions of Klipsch KSF 8.5 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Dec 1, 2001.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Aug 27, 2000
    I have been thinking about replacing my surrounds, currently KSB3.1's with a pair of the 8.5's. I would then move the KSB 3.1's to the rear center location.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these speakers? I can get them for under $300 a pair.

I figure with the 8.5's for surround duty and the 3.1's used as rear centers I should be able run the rear speakers as large. The specs for the 8.5's say output to 36hz, has anyone done any real world testing on these speakers and can confirm what you can really get out of them?

My equipment is:

Receiver-Denon 3802

Front-KG 4.2's

Center-KG 2.2v

Subs-SVS 20-39's

Surrounds-KSB 3.1's

Rear centers-Rock Solid speakers(got em free).

I listened to them at Tweeter(onsale now)and they sounded pretty good. The rear port has me concerned as they would need to be within 4-6 inches of the wall.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Oct 2, 2001
    I own the KSF 10.5's and I believe the only change was an extra sub, which you should not really notice if you have a seperate subwoofer. I would give them a 5/5 for home theater use, and a 3/5 for music use. I am very happy with them and they don't appear to be overly bright, for Klipsch that is. They sound perfect for movie soundtracks, strings and piano sound very clear. Anyway, at that price I would give them a try. Now I just need to save up for some RF-7...
  3. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

Oct 9, 2001
    I own the 8.5s as mains and if you're worried about the bass, they can definitely hold up nicely. Of course my SVS blows them away but when it's off I put them back on large and they still amaze me. They are very efficient and I don't find them to be harsh at all. You might want to keep them even farther then 4-6 inches from the wall, maybe 8-10. I've found that by giving them some room and better placement they sound much better. For less than $300 a pair I think these speakers are a steal.