Opinions of Harman Kardon 520?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Is it worth $650? Thats what ja and r is selling it for. Can you hook a 6th speaker to it (rear)? Thanks!

Tom

2. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

That seems like a pretty good price for this reciever. I have been able to spend a lot of time with it and do like it. It supports DTS ES matrix and discrete, PLII, has 192Khz/24bit DACS and the EZ-Set remote which contains a mic to adjust channel levels. The only downside for me was that is doesn't support DD EX and it only has built in power for 5 channels. To go with a 6.1 or 7.1 setup you need to buy a separate two channel amp. I ended up getting the Sony DA-5ES because of the much higher number of features. I do think the 520 has a better amp section though and did sound slightly better for music.

3. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

1) It's worth $650
    2) It will support up to 8 channels, but only has power for 5 - you have to add amplifiers for any others.

Have had mine a short time and am very pleased with it. I like the features, but love the sound. The amps are better than most receivers and have incredible reserve power. Nothing else in it's class is as powerful. It also has a version of LOGIC 7 (for 2 channel sources). You'll never use Dolby Prologic II.
    The manual is a 56 page beast that is helpful only if you have experience in setting up Audio Video equipment. It is not really an entry-level receiver, so someone who has knowledge of Home Theater should be involved. The receiver is quite complicated, but very easy to set up once you know what you're doing (or can fake it).

IMHO: It is head and shoulders above any other receiver under $1000. The LOGIC 7 and the quality of the amplification are unmatched.