Opinions of DD-EX and DTS-ES mixes??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Coleman, Oct 12, 2004.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I'm working with a 5.1 system though with my Onkyo receiver i'm capable of 6.1.

For those of you with 6.1 setups how much difference does it make to have a "back" channel?? Do you have any favorite discs and scenes from those discs that really show off the effects of a back channel?

I'd be curious for your input? Thanks in advance!!!

2. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I'd say if someone only had a 5.1 capable receiver not to upgrade just to get 6.1

But if all you need to do is add a speaker then it's worth it.

My fav has to be Master & Commander, I swear it seemed like people were walking above me in real life.

3. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Only use the center surround channel for 6.1 recordings. You will be very unsatisfied with many 5.1 recordings forced into 6.1. DTS-ES is the only true 6.1 discrete format at the moment. Dolby Digital is still 5.1 but has pro-logic decoding the center rear info.

Mike

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Haunting DTS ES Discrete(the entire movie) and The Exorcist(the version you have never seen before) are perfect examples of how an EX mix is used effectively. Exorcist was already a spooky movie and the new mix just adds on top of that.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It will be interesting to see (or hear) how the film producers or post production houses will take advantage of Blu-Ray's uncompressed, 8 channel discrete high rez. LPCM capabilities.

That would totally ROCK!!!

As is DD EX and even DTS-ES Discrete are just stop gap measures, as effective as they can be. Nothing beats a completely discrete mix.

Dan