1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

opinions needed on upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

Hello, I currently own the onkyo 787 which I like very much but it does not have discreet or prologic II. I would like to buy a receiver with these features but I also have plans to purchase a pioneer elite 45 dvd audio/sacd player along with a couple of sony 400 disc cd players and hopefully a projector for my dedicated theater. All this plus paying for college and raising three kids limits the choices of receivers. I have thought about the 811s but I am not sure about how the sound quality compares to my onkyo. I am sure that the movie modes sound comparable but I am pretty happy with the onkyo's sound on music, and I like some of the tweaks that the onkyo allows. So I was thinking about connecting the 811 to the multi channel inputs of the onkyo with plans for using it when I am playing the xbox, ps2,gamecube, listening to dts discreet, or dolby surround sources. Since I am planning to have add a small hometheater system to the family room, I figure I could just move the 811 there late this year or early next when I am able to get that 45tx or other quality receiver. Just to note, the onkyo is being used as a pre/pro, its connected to three amps. I have klipsch Towers, mc1 center and klipsch dipoles and rears. Anyone have any suggestions or opinons?

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I think it is time to start looking for a seperate PrePro, with Rotels 1096 comming look for deals on the 1066, I bought a $2000 Marantz AV9000 for $900 NIB only 5.1 but I love it, all I wanted anyway, there are more and more out there and you will never be unhappy with the flexibility a seperate componet gives you. I have used seperates for 25 years and will never go back, I have a HK 320 bedroom piece that I can use as a temp if I have to pull out the Preamp for some reason,
    I have used "Oinks" over the years they are great. . .