Opinions Needed on Toshiba 46hx83 TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brett Hancock, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I'm looking for opinions on the Toshiba 46hx83. I will mainly be using it to watch DVD's and HDTV. Any praises or gripes about this particular set from anyone thats owned it would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

I don't own it, but I compared it to the Sony 46wt510 and ended up buying the Sony. There is a review of the Toshiba set in the current Home Theater magazine as well as one on Cnet. Both reviews noted a poor color decoder resulting in a notable red push. The grey scale tracked well. Read Guy Kuo's excellent thread on "Gray scale is not color decoding" , at the top of this forum, for an explanation on the differences between the two .http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_46H8...?tag=pdtl-list

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

To 'fix' the red push, in the service menu adjust ABOF to FF and AROF to 02.

4. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

I too was looking at this and bought the Sony. I had my Toshiba set (2 yr old model) refunded by Toshiba. They were good to deal with, but I wasn't terribly happy with the product (hence the refund).

This new Toshiba model has a similar problem. Take a look at the set on a white or very light background (sand, light blue sky, snow etc). You will see a white line running almost straight down the middle. I had read about some people returning their set because of this, and when I was checking the set out at the store, it had the line no matter how I had the TV set. When I happened to turn on a hockey game...bang! Right down the middle. A few other people in the store were looking at the set too, and when I pointed it out to them, they decided against the Toshiba and also went with the Sony.

Good luck.

5. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

It has been brought to my attention that I mistakenly commented on the Toshiba H83, instead of the original posters question regarding the HX83 , a higher end model. Sorry for the error on my part.