What's new

Opinions needed on a Sub and an Amp (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
Opinions needed on a Sub and an Amp
I will soon be in the market for a new sub, and maybe, an amp.
I recently upgraded to Paradigm reference, and am looking into getting myself a sub. The salesman told me to give him a call when I am ready to pick up a Reference 15' sub(I think its a servo 15, but please correct me if I am wrong). I have heard tons of stuff about the SVS subs, and was wondering, are they really better then the Paradigm reference sub? If so which SVS model should I look at. I am currently running Studio 80's, a Studio CC, and Studio 20's for the rears. Any help here would be great.
And finally, I am running these speakers on a Marantz SR7000. Do you think a 5 channel amp to add on to this would be a good addition to my setup. If so, please recommend a model to me, because I am new to the amp game. I am a college student so I don't have $5000 to spend on an amp yet, so please be gentle. I am looking for something that will knock my socks off, but not put me in the poor house. I get a pretty good tax refund check, because I pay for my tuition, so around the 1,000 dollar mark give or take works out well. Am I kidding myself that for around 1,000 I can get a bitchin amp? Please be brutally honest.
Thanks for all of your help,
Fred

Martice

Screenwriter
I don't know about SVS because I don't own one. However, I am having a sub custom built to my requirements by a small company over at acoustic-visions.com. The customer service is awesome and I can say that this is the only place that I know that builds the subs the way you want it. Not everyone has the space for a large box or has the taste for a long tube. Fortunately, I was able to find Kyle and his web-site and find the right size cabinet that promises to deliver the sound quality that I expect in my given room size. It's worth a look and a toll free call.
Good Luck.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Mark_R

Agent
I'm pretty new to the HT thing and currently saving up for speakers. The present plan is to go for Paradigm Reference 60s, CC, and 20s. I've seen a number of posts here where people put an SVS with the reference speakers and loved them. I plan on doing SVS myself for the sub (will probably get before the other speakers). The general feel I get from others around here is that if your in Canada (or can get to a Paradigm dealer in Canada, you can get the better deal going with a Paradigm sub, otherwise the best bang for the buck is with SVS. Which SVS you would want will depend on your room size and listening habits (movies or music, and do you want reference level volume or are you happy with it considerably quieter). Let us know. One of the SVS guys will likely post a reply. They are awesomely consistent about replying to sub questions with very helpful information, even when they can't provide what your looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks