Opinions needed, Is this compression artifacts I see?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JamesClif, Dec 9, 2003.

1. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

I have a new JVC AV-34WP84 directview hooked to S-Atlantic 3250hd cable box, when I watch HD programming I notice what I would call heat waves, or areas of screen trying to focus .I really notice it when viewing motion scenes such as a flock of birds flying or heard of zebras off in the distance moving.I do not notice it with still pictures. I can see it when I am very close to TV say 2 to 3 feet, any futher and I dont notice it. Other than that the picture is stunning and has that WOW effect. Please tell me its a bandwidth problem with the cable company and not my new TV?? I have read other post and it sounds like compression, but want to be sure. Opinions needed Thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, these seem like normal artifacts associated with video-based programming (which, by default, cannot benefit from 2:3 pulldown correction). Since you can only see it when sitting two or three feet from the screen I wouldn't worry about it. Go back to enjoying that "wow effect" that gets you going!

3. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

Thanks for the responce Jack, I tried a DVD today and it doesnt seem to make vapors. There is a feature on the TV called Digital Noise Clear with Off,Low and high setting that really helps, but I lose detail. I just wanted to make sure I didnt have problems with this new TV. Thanks

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

James, I'd avoid any of that Mickey Mouse, proprietary "compensation" circuitry as it only adds artifacting (instead of removing it).