Opinions: good 2-channel from a ~$500 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angelo.M, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Curious as to comparative opinions on the following brands in terms of music performance. I'm thinking about models in and around the $500 range:

Onkyo SR600
    H/K 320
    Denon 1802

Tested several of these recently, and was impressed with the Onkyo and the Denon. Had heard great things about H/K's musicality, but didn't really discern a large difference. I'd probably choose the Denon among all three, given its other features.

Thoughts?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Then you should go for it. But I would recommend giving a listen to the Marantz 5200 as well.

3. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Denon 1802 and for music I'm using it with two JBL S-310 tower speakers. I'm very happy with the music that this combination produces.

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

When I decided to upgrade receivers, my no. 1 priority was 2-channel music reproduction. I went with the Outlaw 1050, and though we like what we're used to, I still haven't heard a receiver in this price range that can best its 2-channel abilities (have not heard the Marantz 5200, unfortunately).
    Here's an excellent review of the outlaw 1050 from a 2-channel perspective: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/o...0_receiver.htm