What's new

Opinions for Shiva DIY sub, PR vs vent (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and have learned a great deal by reading the posts and searching the archives. I want to build a Shiva sub, enclosure as small as I could get away with, and I need it to do 50% music and 50% home theater. I'm a symphony orchestra musician, so music is classical, with some jazz and pop. Nothing super heavy or techno. We watch a lot of DVD movies, and for now the sub will work with Paradigm Atoms, but this summer I plan to build some of Dennis Murphy's MB1's or Dannie Richie's AV1's.

I was looking at Shiva designs on Adire's website, mostly the 85l ported or 85l with PR15 passive radiator, since the b stocks are on for $50. I'll run the sub with a 250 amp plate from PE, probably.

Any opinions or experience with these designs? Should I just build a sealed box instead?

My room for now (we might be moving this year) is 24x14, with a low 8ft ceiling.

Thanks for the help!

Wes Nance

Rochester, NY

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Wes, the 85 liter design on Adire's site is very good for your purpose. It is very good for music since it is tuned quite low and is nice and tight but also has the extra punch from being a port/PR design.

As far as a PR or port? Both will be very good with this design. PR's kind of have a bad rap for not being as tight but if tuned correctly in the right enclosure it will sound just as good.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
>As far as a PR or port? Both will be very good with this >design. PR's kind of have a bad rap for not being as tight >but if tuned correctly in the right enclosure it will >sound just as good.

So with these Adire designs and this sub, is there any real reason to spend the extra money on the PR? I notice the enclosure size and response graphs are almost identical between the two 85l designs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
So with these Adire designs and this sub, is there any real reason to spend the extra money on the PR? I notice the enclosure size and response graphs are almost identical between the two 85l designs.
I would say that the PR version of this particular alignment may well have an advantage, given that the recommended port is 3" which will likely begin to compress and make noise long before a PR-15 gets anywhere near its limits.

This is the kind of situation where PRs shine, where box size/tuning dictate a smaller-than-ideal port. The advantage is in output/lack of compression, and not necessarily frequency response.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 85l PR and it's great. I'm in CT if you ever want to stop by and listen. It's about 6 hours from you but if you happen to be in the area...
If you're looking for a place to get the parts from I got mine from Kyle Richardson - Link Removed Great guy, great service. He's had a lot of good things mentioned here on the forum.
-Rob Lloyd

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
enclosure as small as I could get away with
If your goal is small then you might consider the Parts Express Dayton DVC driver. It's a 12" sub that's very similar to the Shiva. It might not go quite as low as the Shiva, but it works in a smaller box. And I don't think you could tell the difference in performance.
As a bonus, I think the DVC is still on sale for $99 instead of the usual $120. Look for it in the specials section on the front page of www.partsexpress.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks