What's new

Opinions/Experiences with Adire Audio's Rava Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

scottAtah

Grip
Hey guys, i'm new to this board and home audio in general. I know a lil bit from car audio, but not much bout home. Recently when i was on holidays i felt a need to spend money, and so Mr Visa purchased a set of Athena (canadian company YAY) AS-F2 floor speakers as well as a panasonic SA-XR50 (i think thats the model) (100x6). They do pretty well together, i've only had them for a couple weeks, so they're still breaking in, but even with a pair of 8's in each speaker there's a huge difference between having a sub to pick up those low frequencies and not having one. So, now not that i have money to spend, but i need a sub. I'm poor and shouldn't have bought this home audio stuff in the first place as i used money that was supposed to pay previously boughten stuff off.

I figure i have about $500-$700 canadian to spend on a sub. I was first settled on velodyne's CHT-12 which i've been able to hear at various stores and is in the price raneg i like (bout $500 after shipping). But i also know that Adire audio makes great subs as i recently purchased their brahma for my bro's vehicle and it's sweet, but there's only two stores in canada that sell their equip and neither do home audio.

In conclusion i've read many good things about this Rava from Adire, but don't know a ton about home audio in general and have never gotten the chance to listen to it unfortunatly, so i'm checking to see if you all can offer some more help options or opinions. Is it a good sub, is there another sub that i should be going with hands down for that price range (can not go above that price range and really the cheaper the better). The room this is all in incidentally is my bedroom but i'd like to still get something decent. It'll be mainly used for music right now, only cause i don't hae room for rear speakers, but eventually will be for movies as well.

If you can give me any ideas opinions or even point me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated.

Nick Laho

Grip
I have a Rava in a 2 channel music system and it is fantastic. In my 13x11ft room it is amazingly powerful for music, and very accurate. When properly balanced into a system it is a truely worthy addition to a music system. Its good for Home theatre too as long as you don't have a huge room, or over push it. (A ported sub would work a little better in that situation)

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Since you are in Canada, the Paradigm PW2200 is often well recommended by many HT enthusiasts. However, it's street price (~CAD$750) is a touch higher than your upper price range....of course, it would be cheaper if you bought a used one.

You could also try a sub (Adire?) from http://www.creativesound.ca/ who are located in BC.

Dave

scottAtah

Grip
I'm aware of creativesound.ca but unfortunately they don't carry home audio from adire. Paradigm i can get deals on and have heard some good things about, but also coulda swore i read some not so good things about them which kinda drove me away.

BTW, i'm at work and probably not supposed to be on here, but i'm prioratizing. To guess at my room size, it might be about 12x13 or so...and filled with a queensized bed, couch, desk w/computer etc, so not much open air left.

As well i have no problems buying online so long as the company is an authorized dealer. I'd prefer not to buy used unless i happen to know the person or they have a very good rep by a well known group of people.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Check out the EZsub kit from Creative Sound. It is a tube based sub with the same Shiva driver as the Rava. You pick any amp you want, like the 360 watt plate amp.

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
You may also want to consider the new PB10-ISD from SVS. at $399.00 U.S., it may work out to be a good value for you.

Larry

scottAtah

Grip
what did you use prior to the Rava? and by chance have you ever heard the paradigm pw-2100 (or pw-2200) and care to comment on how they compare?

JakubH

Stunt Coordinator
Scott - prior to the Rava I used only large tower speakers, ACI Spirits (aka Opal). They get down to the 30's mid room, but can't really compare at all and sound much less congested with crossover engaged.

I also previously used a NHT 10" sub, not sure the model, but it has an outboard amp/crossover unit, ran around $1000 CDN IIRC. The Rava is far and away better, goes much deeper and has far superior headroom. The NHT was a good sub for music, but for HT it couldn't keep up.

I have never heard the PW-22 or 2100, only the PDR series subs. I can say that the Rava is quite a bit better than the PDRs, I found them very boomy and 'one-note' sounding for lack of a better word. The best way to describe the difference - with the Rava properly crossed over, I don't know its on 90% of the time, but when the material calls for it, it really lets you know its there. With the PDR, I was always aware it was there, it added a wooliness/chestiness to male voices and some music, and when the material called for it, it got louder, but no was no where near as dynamic as the Rava. I hope that crude comparison helps a little.

One other thing, if you're at all handy and inclined, do take a look at the various kits at CSS, they are a great value if you don't mind investing time and elbow grease. I love my Rava, but for the $$$ I could have DIYed something better if I had the tools (and of course if I don't put a value on my time).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks