Opinions and Advice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pat_C, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I have a Hitachi Ultravision HDTV projection bigscreen, which is located in a relatively small room (but not too small). My wife and I really enjoy the tv, and I am looking for a home theatre system to complement it. The budget I want to stick too is around $1000.

We would use the HTS primarly for movies, and occasionally music, although we don't plan on ever listening to either at high volume. Ideally, I would like something that really gives you the impression that you are "immersed" in the movie you are watching.

I have read through the forum and can tell most here, if not all, are opposed to HTIB systems. However, I am pretty busy, and know little to nothing about electronics, and it seems that a prepackaged systems might be the best way to go.

Are there any pre-packaged systems that would fit my needs? If not, can you please recommend components for a system that would fit within my budget? Thanks in advance.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

It seems like HTIB might be the best fit for you. I cant recommend any but I'll give you my suggestions for components for your budget.

Speakers: Paradigm cinema or performance series, Polk R series

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 130, Denon 1403 AVR

DVD player: anything in the $100-150 range pioneer,panasonic,Sony etc)

Sub: You may not want one and I think that it might be hard to fit it in that budget but if you do want one I suggest Paradigm, velodyne, JBL and sony. You could always build your own for less money though.

3. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

Thanks for your advice Graham. The budget is flexible; I just don't want to buy something I'll never really use to its full potential.

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Some good suggestions by Graham. If you decide to go the "box" route, Kenwood gets some pretty good reviews. I helped a friend hook up a Kenwood HTIB system in a small basement room about 2 years ago & he was very pleased with the results. The good thing about the Kenwood system is that you can upgrade piece by piece later.