Opinions and advice sought....!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by luyen, Jan 15, 2006.

1. luyen

luyen Auditioning

Hey there everyone,

Hey everyone,

I'm about to upgrade from my 15-year old 2 channel hi-fi. The nice thing about my setup is that I Haven't had to think much about it for over a decade. The bad thing is that the world has passed my system by! I'd like to upgrade my 2 channel setup while putting myself in position to go surround. But I don't want to break the bank. I'd like to spend no more than $2K, but I'm happy to spend that simply on upgrading my 2 channel sound and position myself for 5.1/7.1 down the line. Currently, I have an Adcom pre and an Adcom 100 watt 2 channel amp. My thinking is to go with a really good HT receiver and use my Adcom amp to drive the front 2 channels, upgrade my 2 front speakers, and eventually get sub, center and rears.

I am probably 80% music, 20% HT, and I'm a pretty picky listener with eclectic musical tastes.

The two options I'm considering (but would value each of your personal solutions) are the Rotel RSX-1056 or the Outlaw 1070. For speakers, though it's hard to buy speakers I haven't heard, I'm thinking about trying the Axiom m22ti's, just based on the incredible reviews and value.

I would love your thoughts. My pockets are not particularly deep, but I really value my music, and I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Many thanks for your input!!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Luyen. Welcome to HTF!

Your question is a little advanced for the Basics Section. So I am going to move your post to the Recievers fourm where more of the experts in amps/separates hang out.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

3. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Do you have the Adcom GFP 750? If you do, you may have a very hard time finding anything under $5,000, not $2,000, that can match the performance of 750, whether it's 2 channel preamp, HT pre/pro, or a receiver. That beast is by far the best preamp I have ever heard. You might have to go into Lexicon / Levinson / Classe realm to build HT system with as good music performance, but that's going to be a little bit above your budget. [​IMG]

If your preamp allows pass through, you can connect HT pre/pro as pass through, then you can use Adcom in the music mode, and HT pre/pro in the HT mode. That may be complicated, but probably the only way to protect the music performance while adding the HT capability. Then you can add a nice subwoofer and extra surround channels. After all, 90% of the HT experience comes from a good subwoofer and surrounds.

4. Doug_

Doug_ Stunt Coordinator

luyen,

I think it sounds lik your on the right track. I would take the Outlaw over the Rotel. I have heard the 1056 and the 970 (basically the 1070 minus the amps)and the 970 sounds better to me.

I think the Internet brands are a great deal. They usually give you a 30 day trial, so you may be out the return shipping, but I have always been impressed with the quality of the units I have bought (SVS, Outlaw). If you really enjoy 2-channel music you may want to look at the Outlaw 990 instead of the 1070. I had the 990 and 970 in my home at the same time and the 990 has better performance than the 970. It does not have amplification as it is a pre/pro, but you would have two channels with your Adcom amp and could add speakers/amps as you went along.

5. luyen

luyen Auditioning

Bob, thanks for moving this post. Wasn't sure where this best fit. Jongyoon, I'm playing a GFA-545 amp and a GTP-400 pre/tuner. Doug, thanks for the advice. You're the first to recommend Outlaw over Rotel, but this concurs with reviews I have read.