What's new

Opinion: The demise of satellite radio (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I listen to Sirius for free via Dish Network thru my HT, music stations (apparently the ones that don't have bothersome DJ's) do have playlists that are indeed small compared to what's available. But I wouldn't pay a dime extra for it though.

I recently discovered that I can get internet radio via a USB connection on my old Pioneer 59txi so one of these days I'm going to give it a try. Love Pandora, too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, I love it.. still love it. But I can't say I've ever listened more then 5 minutes to a music station. I drive long drives (about 5-10 hours) on Sunday, and SIRIUS is 100% worth it; listening to the home feed of NFL games as I drive? Absolutely worth it. And, for those of us who follow news, being able to listen to the CNN/Fox/Bloomberg live feed all day as I drive, it's worth the price of admission.

I think everything is for every different person. And there are things I like about netradio.. so far, I haven't found how to get it into my car. More then that, the news aspect, and NFL aspect simply aren't something I can get elsewhere. I think the problem with satellite radio is that they have to come up with a way for on-demand management. I think that's possible if they go IP based.

My drive time listening is basically the same: Audiobooks or news. I'd guess when I'm not listening to Satellite I'm listening to AM radio (talk) more then anything else.

I guess I'm the odd duck here ;) But I know of a few others who picked it up just for baseball/football. In comparison to what I pay for DirectTV Sunday Ticket.. which I only get to see some of, it's a great buy.

JMHO.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Well, I broke down and got an "add-on". Purchased an XM Skydock and mated it with a new 32 Gig iPod Touch. Looks and works well. I just need to give the antenna a better install. One small problem is that I hear a hum using the aux connection between the Skydock and the radio. Shielding issue?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm just like Dave. My used car had a built in three month trial subscription and it just didn't do much for me. I listened to it a few times and that was it. I'm going to give the receiver to my dad and get an HD receiver. The local oldies channel moved their playlist up to mainly '70s music, but their HD2 channel still plays the '50s and '60s and I love it over the internet. It does have a limited playlist, but a one-time cost and the ability to listen on the road will be great.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TonyD said:
I've had both services over the last 4 years, but have ended up with XM.
i called 3 weeks ago to cancel both my radios.
they gave me 3 free months and asked me to see what happens then.
I never went back after I cancelled in early '09 until a couple weeks ago.
Installed the app on my phone and signed up for a one week free trial.
after a few days of hearing all the same music I heard three years ago i found myself only listening to
Howard Stern for the last few days of the trial.
It was all the same old boring stuff that they have apparently been playing since the merger.
Pretty sure while going through the channels I saw two maybe three local stations
from several major cities being simulcast on Sirius.
So apart fro Stern I didnt find anything to listen to.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think Satellite Radio works out very well for these markets:

You love sports. Live sporting events from multiple feeds is a great, great find.. especially if you drive a lot.
You like Political or News-Talk stations.
Your a big fan of X

In the end, for me, it's the access to news.. and football. I find myself driving a lot on Sundays, and being able to listen to the home radio call - which I prefer greatly over the TV call in almost every case can be a big benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks