Opinion re: used Epson Powerlite projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott Kriefall, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I'm considering the possible purchase of a used Epson Powerlite 500C LCD projector. It does have a couple issues:
    • Missing remote
    • Reported to have 3 or 4 stuck blue subpixels, and 3 or 4 stuck green subpixels (can verify info when seller is back in town)

Now, I'd normally be scared about the dead subpixels... however, this projector is being offered for $200. This would be my first projector, and I'm wondering if I should consider it given the stuck subpixels? I don't know whether I'd notice them, so I'm hoping someone with more experience with LCD projectors could comment.

This remote shouldn't be a problem, since I can most likely use my Philips Pronto in its place.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Is it still hooked up so that you could see the picture? This is a svga 800x600 lcd projector @ 800 a.l. and a 400:1 contrast ratio. Try to determine the bulb life left on the unit as well. With 8 stucj pixels, I would hate for you to get stuck with a projector that would bother you a few months down the road.

3. Scott Kriefall

Scott
    It's half way across the country, so there's no way for me to see it. The bulb has about 600 hours on it, so about 1400 remaining if the official specs are to be believed.

4. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. I had purchased a used Epson Powerlite 5000XB projector. I knew it had cosmetic damage, dead pixels, and even a problem focusing. I'm almost embarrassed to say I bought it for about 400 bucks.
    As a first projector almost anything you buy will do the job for you. You don't really know what the quality projectors can do, and you're just looking for a fun workhorse. My house became video game central with my friends.
    My biggest complaint with the projector was the inability to focus. The lens housing was broke so I had to manually adjust the lens to focus the picture. Even then it was never completely in focus. One side of the lens would be too far out or vice versa. The entire picture was never really in focus. This really got to me and made me go for the big pull and buy a brand new Dell 3200MP projector for $1500.
    The dead pixels didn't bother me so much since a lot of the are not noticeable when an image is being displayed. The only they came apparent was if you either stared straight at them or if the scene was extremely bright. Even then it was no big deal. I had a lot more than 8 dead pixels as well, let me tell you.
    For you I would say go ahead and buy the projector for $200 as long as you can accept the dead pixels. Also, I urge you to strongly think about making a plan to save up and get a quality projector. It's a whole new ball game with my 3200mp. It's a nice luxury to come home to after I spend months at college. Besides, since I'm not there to use it all the time it should last me years just on the one bulb. That lets me focus on other things, such as a new home theater surround sound system. Hehe. It's neverending. Matt

5. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

For $200 why not. I have an epson s1 and thought I had some dead pixels, but it is actually dust, which might be the case for you, no way of knowing until you get it. Look at it this way it's as cheap as alot of dvd players.

6. Scott Kriefall

Scott
    I've decided to proceed with the purchase of the projector. I'm hoping that this 'starter' projector will last until the prices on 1080i- or 1080p-capable units drop to a more reasonable level.