What's new

Opinion on WB Television Favorites (1 Viewer)

DanMel

Second Unit
I was checking out the WB Television favorite DVD rankings today on Amazon and see that F Troop is ranked pretty high compared to the others. Is there a great deal more interest for F troop as compared to Maverick and Chico and the Man?

F Troop currently 859 in total DVD sales for Amazon
Chico and the Man currently at 10,346
Maverick currently at 2,781
Cheyenne currently at 2,770
Dukes of Hazard currently 36,545

From the looks of it F troop may sell enough to get WB to release a season set but doubt if the others will with the exception of the Dukes of Hazard that already has season sets.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Although a large one, Amazon is just one retailer, and so while F Troop ranks high there, some of the other shows may do well at traditional brick & mortar stores . . . I'd wager a guess and say that when Maverick and Cheyenne make it to Wal-Mart or Target, they'll do quite well, maybe even better than F-Troop. The reason that the Dukes "TV Favorites disc" is so far behind is that fans of the show are buying the season sets, i.e., they likely already have the episodes. However, for a casual viewer of the show (like me), the 3-episode disc may fit the bill. Wal-Mart already released the Dukes "TV Favorites" with a different cover as an exclusive a few months ago . . . I found it in the $5.50 bin. Best Buy has a current exclusive on the Welcome Back Kotter "TV Favorites," but it's listing at $14.95 for six episodes.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
The WB Favourites are a very poor marketing strategy on the part of Warner Brothers. Generally speaking, studios are supposed to release the entire season set before releasing these type of disks. Why? To get more people to buy into the TV Show they are releasing it for.

First, the WB Favourites DVD are not a successful to gauge on who will buy a particular series. First you want to sell to the fans of the series ... then, to get other TV Show fans to buy into the series you release disks such as these with selective episodes. I wonder why the shift with WB policy on this.

They've released disks such as these before, but only after the show had been released to DVD.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
They actually did release "Best of" sets of "Friends" before they started releasing them in season sets. I've ordered both Cheyenne and Maverick myself...I enjoyed the series when they were on and just love westerns overall. I hope we see more, obviously.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I picked up the "Cheyenne" and "Maverick" releases and one has to give Warner Home Video credit on these . . . despite what one may think of these "sampler" discs, the visuals look great and, for the most part, exceeded my expectations. I hope that these sell well enough that Warner ends up releasing something much more substantial for fans of these series.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I got Cheyenne, Maverick and F-Troop. Thus far, I've only seen the Maverick menu, but it looks professional and sounds great with the theme playing. Can't wait to see the Cheyenne menu and that great Stan Jones theme! Oh, yeah, and the episodes. ;)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I have almost every Maverick and Cheyenne from 16mm film as well as the first 50 Welcome Back Kotters from tape masters. I would like to get F Troop and Chico but not in this truncated form. When WB is ready to go season set, I'll be there but not before.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
When you look at brick and mortar stores, the question is what do they have available? The Walmarts in my area have Maverick and Chico and the Man. Naturally those will do better than F-Troop since it is not available. One Target
has none of them. Amazon puts the titles on an even scale since they are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks