What's new

opinion on using 2 Rava subs.... (1 Viewer)

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I am looking to get a little more "oomph" .Room is approx
15x13.Currently I am using an Adire Rava.I am thinking about getting a second one,how much more would this add for LFE performance on DVD's?I know doubling the wattage gets about 3db ,but not sure how much the additional sub would help.Dont want to mess with shipping and the associated headaches with selling my sub,so getting a big SVS etc probobly isnt an option.$400 + - would be a good deal if getting a second Rava would make a big difference.

Opinions,advice, flames etc

Thanks
Greg

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure adding another Rava will get you the oomph your looking for. I think you need something that will go deeper. Since the Rava is nothing more than a sealed shiva, you may want to consider using the amp and driver, but building a larger ported enclosure. Either the SBB4 or EBS alignment would give you very good low end response. The EBS goes a bit deeper and has flat response, where the SBB4 has a little more punch in frequencies surrounding 30hz. Check out the reccomended alignments on adire's website or post in the DIY section for help building a new sub based on your Shiva driver and adire amp if building an enclosure would be something you're interested in.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
What about adding an EQ? $50 for a used 1/3 at most places. Music-go-round, etc.

That and an SPL meter gould get you what you want, as long as you don't crank the volume too high. The limits of the sub will be reached much more quickly with EQ.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
An EQ can be very effective at taming peeks in room response, but won't do much for raising lulls in room response or aiding in the low-end. You could also look into adding an LT to your existing sub, but that would rob your power headroom pretty quikly.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Adding a second Rava will get you approx. 6 dB more output, and will also actually get a little lower response if you put them right together. Whether the lower response is noticeable is another question. The reason for this is because of acoustic coupling. Since the 2 sources are much closer together in distance than the length of the waves they are creating, they sort of get to "cheat" physics and pretend they are like one source (very non-scientific explanation).

This concept is why at concerts you see all those subs stacked together up front. One of those subs by itself can't get that low, but all of them together can.

If you're happy w/ the extension, then go for a 2nd Rava! If you wish it went a good deal lower, I don't think the 2nd one will make the pair together go low enough to satisfy you.

That being said, if you got an EQ to tame the bad peaks, you might feel subjectively that it's going lower because the peaks aren't sticking out as much.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my Rava in a 23x17x8 room and, corner-loaded, it produces more bass than my ears (not to mention my wife, my 3-year-old girl, my cat and my house) can stand!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks