What's new

Opinion on upgrade? (1 Viewer)

JoeBloomberg

Auditioning
I currently own a Pioneer VSX-36 elite unit that has worked perfectly for me, 5.1 setup right now, but was thinking of 7.1 down the road. Anyhow, since the new 1015 can be had for a good price is it worth while to upgrade, or hold off till I put in place the 7.1? I know the MCACC feature is pretty nice to gain, but other than that what would I see as a gain over my trust 36. :)

JoeBloomberg

Auditioning
Nobody, notta, nothing. :)

I'm thinkin of anything below 800, but the 1015 seems like such a good deal. Hard to demo anything here cause no one has like equipment/speakers. :frowning:

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
If Your room is very big then maybe the 7.1 might be worth the wait. There are just to few movies that have even 6.1 as there format. My room has 5.1 and it sounds great. But, my room is small. It also depends on how you feel about upgrading and regret. It seems like you may be running 5.1 for a little while longer. If you could get the 1015 for a good price I might go with that. So when you are ready, you can just jump right in. The 1050 might be a better sounding piece becasue the technology is newer. Also it has that MCACC. I always like to get my electronics set in place first. You can do it over time. You don't have to get the speakers right away.

JoeBloomberg

Auditioning
Well, I already ordered the swan 2.1bc, C3 center and R3 rear. I prob wont do 7.1 for a while, but I guess my question is would I notice much of a difference between the two on the recievers. I understand that the Elite 36 is an older tech so maybe the new does the 5.1 better and would also sound better cause of the EQ?

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats on the new speakers. The newer model looks like it would be a better overall performer. It most likely has better Dacs then your older one. The EQ will not change the quality for the better. What it will do is allow you to fix problems in you room or if you speakers sound bright or boomy to you. But I have not heard the receivers in question. The newer one might also give you greater flexibility on overall setup as well.

JoeBloomberg

Auditioning
Cool, ya cant wait for the speakers. Right now I have some old (bout 10yrs) Altec Lansing THX speakers. They definitely need replaced. lol

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean. When I first started this, I was using 10 year old pioneer floor standing stereo speakers. I think that you will be happy with that setup. I know the swans have gotten good press.

JoeBloomberg

Auditioning
Well, I am really limited around here. To compare at the one "Hi end" store you get to listen to CD's. Other than that, its CC so my best bet is online IMO.

I've been extremely happy with my Elite 36, so I'll prob wait it out for a bit and maybe save some money for something even better. :)

Thanks for the input.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
If you are happy with it, then that is the correct choice. I have no problem waiting and saving to get something a little better. It is the only way I work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks