What's new

Opinion on S-Video distributor/amplifier, S-video Y-splitter needed (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a S-Video distributor at radio shack for $40 and was wondering if anyone have one of these. It has one S-video in ( it'll be for the SAT receiver) and 3 outs (one will be to the RPTV and the other to SVHS). It's not a switcher and distribute the signal and amplifies it I suppose. I like to know whether there's a degradation of signal.

Would this be the route to go or go with a Y connector/splitter.

My 3rd option was going to be running the S-video from the sat receiver to the SVHS and from the SVHS to the RPTV. Of course I'm concern about the degradation of signal routing this way. Also I need the VCR on 24/7 if I don't want to deal with the hassle of turning on the VCR each time I turn on the TV.

My forth option is to buy a new audio receiver that can route S-video. My current one don't have that.

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
I have a couple of those rat shack units. They work fine for my purpose which is to send my directv box signals to 3-4 different tv's on football saturdays.

As far as pristine picture quality ,its acceptable for me, but when i am setting up the "sports bar" in my family room, I am not as anal about absolute picture quality as I would be for my regular set up.

on a side note, has anyone seen the video amplifier that doesnt have the s-video. It amplifies to 3 sources instead of 4, but with one of my directv boxes, I had to use that piece over the s-video one. I am looking to obtain another one as a backup but I see that its been discontinued. Anyone have an extra or know of a place where I can get it (all sold out in greater detroit area)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I must of not look at that device carefully because I thought that the S-video splitter came with the composite video option also. Seems from what you said, there is a degradation in the single.

Does anyone know if there's a reverse switcher? One that has 1 input with multiple outputs instead the usual multiple ins and 1 out?

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking for something similar also. I keep finding multiple inputs, with only one output. I guess I could make my fortune by developing one.
RichN

Bill Adlhoch

Stunt Coordinator
luc,

the radio shack IS a 1 in and 4 out device, just what you said you are looking for

as far as what I was looking for, my panasonic Hi-Def STB didnt like the s-vid amplifier(thru either the s-vid OR the composite), but does like the regular old composite on that is 1 in and 3 out (since discontinued)
thats why i am looking for an extra one (as a back-up)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
luc, the radio shack IS a 1 in and 4 out device, just what you said you are looking for
Bill, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was looking for a switcher type that only sent signal to one channel at a time depending on which switch you hit versus the radio shack amplifier/distributor that send signal to all outputs at once. Since from what you said about the quality, I'm giving up on latter option.

Does anyone out there have an opinion on running the s-video from SAT receiver to the SVHS and from the SVHS to the TV? That'll take care of having to use a swither but I would have to leave the VCR on all the time. Would that be a problem? Will passing the signal through the SVHS degrade the signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks