1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion on S-Video distributor/amplifier, S-video Y-splitter needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

I saw a S-Video distributor at radio shack for $40 and was wondering if anyone have one of these. It has one S-video in ( it'll be for the SAT receiver) and 3 outs (one will be to the RPTV and the other to SVHS). It's not a switcher and distribute the signal and amplifies it I suppose. I like to know whether there's a degradation of signal.

Would this be the route to go or go with a Y connector/splitter.

My 3rd option was going to be running the S-video from the sat receiver to the SVHS and from the SVHS to the RPTV. Of course I'm concern about the degradation of signal routing this way. Also I need the VCR on 24/7 if I don't want to deal with the hassle of turning on the VCR each time I turn on the TV.

My forth option is to buy a new audio receiver that can route S-video. My current one don't have that.

2. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

I have a couple of those rat shack units. They work fine for my purpose which is to send my directv box signals to 3-4 different tv's on football saturdays.

As far as pristine picture quality ,its acceptable for me, but when i am setting up the "sports bar" in my family room, I am not as anal about absolute picture quality as I would be for my regular set up.

on a side note, has anyone seen the video amplifier that doesnt have the s-video. It amplifies to 3 sources instead of 4, but with one of my directv boxes, I had to use that piece over the s-video one. I am looking to obtain another one as a backup but I see that its been discontinued. Anyone have an extra or know of a place where I can get it (all sold out in greater detroit area)

3. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Bill, I must of not look at that device carefully because I thought that the S-video splitter came with the composite video option also. Seems from what you said, there is a degradation in the single.

Does anyone know if there's a reverse switcher? One that has 1 input with multiple outputs instead the usual multiple ins and 1 out?

4. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking for something similar also. I keep finding multiple inputs, with only one output. I guess I could make my fortune by developing one.
    RichN

5. Bill Adlhoch

luc,

the radio shack IS a 1 in and 4 out device, just what you said you are looking for

as far as what I was looking for, my panasonic Hi-Def STB didnt like the s-vid amplifier(thru either the s-vid OR the composite), but does like the regular old composite on that is 1 in and 3 out (since discontinued)
    thats why i am looking for an extra one (as a back-up)

6. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

7. Bill Adlhoch

best buy and circuit city have s-video switchers