Opinion on Receiver/Speaker Set-up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 19, 2005.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I am trying to help out a friend who is setting up a home theater. He is in the beginning stages. So far, he has decided to get a front projector. He asked me for some advice on what receiver/speakers he should get. He is thinking about $2000. Yamaha HTR-5760 770W 7.1 receiver along with some Axiom Audio speakers that cost about $1200, I have never heard Axiom speakers before, but they keep on coming up when I am reading about HT related stuff. They show up everywhere. In articles about projectors, receivers, furniture, wires etc. And, they have a return policy. As for the receiver, I have heard a lot of good things about Yamaha and that model has the features that I think he would like.

For the sub, I am recomending a SVS. That's easy.

What do you think? Do you think there is a better system out there for that kind of money? It will be primarily used for movies in a living room that is open to the rest of the house. Quality of sound is more important that quantity. So reference levels will only show up when showing off.

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I dont know much about those speakers but that receiver is pretty good.
    I was debating about getting either the 5760 or the Pioneer 1014tx. I am sold on the Pioneer however. He certainly cant go wrong getting the 5760, i've listened to it and to my ear it sounds fantastic.

3. WaltV

WaltV Extra

I guess I'll chime in about the Axiom speakers - I own them and love them, they are excellent. Regarding service, they are easy to contact and talk to - when one of the drivers went out on my M22s, they had a driver there pronto, no charge.

Which speakers/set of speakers are you thinking of getting? $1200 seems a little low unless you are getting the smallest of each product, which I'm sure would still be a great set, but I recommend at least upgrading to the VP150 center, which I hear is worth every extra penny.

4. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

I was thinking about the Epic Grand Master bundle minus the subwoofer. I am sure it is great, but for nearly the same money he could get a SVS. Did you listen to any other speakers? If so, which ones? What other speakers were you thinking of buying? Why did you choose the Axioms?
    Thanks

I would love to come out there for a demo.[​IMG]

5. WaltV

WaltV Extra

I was able to audition Aperion Audio 522's. Aperion is a budget/quality line like Axiom. The system sounded great, I got to listen to it in a nice home theater set up driven by an Outlaw receiver.

I didn't get to audition the Axioms, but I liked the look of the M22's better than the Aperions and I was more impressed by the QS8 Surrounds and the front channel, VP150. I also made my decision based on forums like this.

Demos out here include surf lessons...