Opinion on DVD/VCR SLVD500P combo unit from Sony

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jose Robles, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

I have enough Air Miles saved up to get this unit for free and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this particular model or on combo units like this in general. Is there any difference from buying the units separately? I'm more concerened about the DVD side but it seems to have all the things I'm looking for (progressive scan, MP3 playback, component out).

Any comments would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

Jose

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

My take on DVD/Combo players is that they are great for bedroom applications, space challenged areas etc, but not for dedicated home theaters. Eventhough Sony is a very good product and does VCR well, I just think you are better off with separating the unit.

3. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

I feel the same way too but this unit seems to have everything that I'm looking for in a DVD player. The fact that it's a VCR as well is just a bonus cause my existing one is slowly dying on me. The unit has component out, progressive scan and MP3/SVCD playback which are things I kinda wanted but don't have with my existing home theatre. The fact that the combo unit can't do things like SACD & DVD-A doesn't really concern me since I don't really need/want those features.

Jose

4. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent

Well, I got the unit today and I have to say that I'm not really impressed with it.

First, the s-video quality on dvd playback seems to be of a lesser quality than my older Sony DVP-S330 DVD player. In fact, the composite video out seems to give a better picture which really annoys me. I don't understand why the s-video looks so "crappy" compared to my other DVD player? When the wife notices a difference you know something is going on. Unfortunately my TV doesn't support component connections so I can't test that out nor the progressive output option.

Second, the dvd player, although it claims to play MP3s can only play MP3s encoded at 128kps. My MP3 collection consists mostly of 192kps or greater. This kind of leaves me out hung to dry since I might not be able to play most of my MP3s which is something I was kind of hoping for. Are all newer DVD players like this with respects to playing MP3s?

Third, the VCR (and DVD side) seems to have less features than what my existing older Sony VCR & DVD players have. Not a big gripe but it is convenient to have the input selector on the unit itself sometimes as opposed to only being able to switch inputs from the remote. My older VCR that's dated 1994 had this simple feature. Along with a button for quick time recording.

Well, I guess this unit won't replace my existing DVD & VCR I have setup in my home theatre. I think I'll end up using it in our master bedroom instead as a second unit. Too bad...I think I had high expectations for this combo. Thank goodness it was free.

Jose

5. Jose Robles

Jose Robles Agent