Opinion on changing of the guard aka receiver... :p

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Craig, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I currently own a Sony STR DE-545 5.1 receiver...
    My dad is thinking of buying mine and I was looking into a Kenwood HTB-504 receiver...
    In your opinion will it be worth it??? I know Kenwood gets good ratings from most on this site...
    Anyone who has the HTB-504 could you give me some feedback on this receiver and what you like and dislike about it???
    Thanks... [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

just an fyi...i think the latest model is the 544. i haven't heard it yet though...

3. Brad Craig

Got another question I figured I would throw in this one...

When receivers are rated at x amt of watts per channel, should your speakers match the maximum watts per channel or does that really matter???

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    watts are completely overrated, especially by low-end companies like Sony and Kenwood. i'd be surprised if your Sony (or the Kenwood for that matter) put out more than 35 wpc RMS with all 5 channels driven. there, i said it! [​IMG]
    well, if you don't have the funds to go with separate receiver/speaker/sub purchases, Kenwood HTB's have been regarded as the 'best of their class' (but if it was me, i'd save a little more $$ and buy some a decent receiver and some speakers). as for the watts matching speakers, etc., it depends on the speakers. if you're gonna use low-end JBLs (i have the NSP-1) then you should be fine. if, however, you want some quality speakers and can spend a little more $$, the answer will likely be NO. someone on this forum recently blew a nice set of Paradigm speakers because they were underpowered. if you're looking for a decent pair of speakers, then save a little more cash and get a quality receiver. the HTB package will work fine by itself, though, if that's what you're asking. the power will be enough for those speakers.
    it all depends on how much $$ you have to spend. my vote is on waiting a little longer and buying an Onkyo receiver, the JBL NSP-1 speaker package, and a Sony SA-WM40 sub. that'll run you ~$750. that way, you'll be able to upgrade easier, AND you'll start off with better equipment.
    just my $.02

5. Brad Craig

Thanks Thomas...

Bump for anymore feedback...

6. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

The Kenwood HTB-504 is not just a receiver but a "Home Theater In A Box" set including a receiver and speakers. The receiver included is (I think) a Kenwood VR-507.

Hope this helps,

Bruce