Opinion on an Extended Warranty for RPTV ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Sefranek, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I may be buying a Toshiba 50H81 this weekend.
    What’s the general consensus on Extended Warranty’s?
    I generally avoid purchasing these on smaller electronic items and I have probably saved thousands by doing this.
    I buy reliable cars (Honda/Acura) so I have never needed to buy an auto plan.
    But......2,300 for an RPTV with only a ONE year warranty kind of scares me a bit.
    Please post your opinion, TV model, coverage plan and what you paid.
    Thanks,
    Shawn S

2. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Perhaps look at a model with a longer parts/labor warranty. Seems to me that Pioneer has...or used to have...a decent warranty on their TV's....not sure about Sony.
    I have had a Sony 53" RPTV for 5 years now...not a single problem with it...knock on wood...but if I did..the repairs CAN get kinda expensive!
    Happy Shopping!
    ------------------
    "The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
    David Manning-Critic
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter3/party.html
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter2/index.html

3. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I sell this TV part-time on the side and I do have the sell the extended warranties. My suggestion is use it as a bargaining chip if you want the warranty. You can most likely get the TV cost lowered if you take the warranty. How much is the warranty by the way?

4. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

5. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

My TW40X81 just turned a year old and I elected not to get the extended warranty. I guess it is a bit of a gamble but, it would seem that if something were to go wrong, it would most likely be in the first year.
    Happy Shopping! [​IMG]
    The other Shawn

6. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Get and use a warranty doubling credit card. Now you got a 2 year warranty for free.

7. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

Ended up getting the 50H81 at my local SEARS tonight for 2075 + TAX via a pricematch from the Continental Trading Internet site.
    (I just checked, it's up to 2095 now)
    It will be delivered on Friday the 24th.
    I have 30-days to decide on the extended warranty. (prices go up after that)
    2-yr=199
    3-yr=299
    5-yr=499
    Still thinking,
    Shawn S

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I normally don't buy extended warranties. But for a big screen set, I made sure I did for a number of reasons:
    * TV's enormous size makes it almost impossible for me to move it, put it in a vehicle that would have to be a pickup trup, and haul it to a service center. It took at least 6 people to take it down to my basement. I certainly wouldn't want to carry this thing on my back all alone.
    * A single in-home service call is almost the cost, if not more, of a typical extended service plan.
    * Manufacturer full warranty service period is normally only 1 year and then only for the picture tube during the second year.
    I got mine from Philips Priority for only $194 for 5 yrs. So, for about 10 cents a day for five full years, my set is covered. I think I can afford to spend a dime a day. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

9. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I bought an extended for my Sony Wega and It was the smartest thing I ever did! After serious problems occurred, I got a full credit and bought the 47" Panasonic HDTV. Well, as bad luck would have it, it's got problems and my Sears tech made it worse, so guess what. Those idiots are replacing it. Period. End of story.
    Without the extended warranty, I would still be stuck with a 36" Sony paperweight.
    Moral of the story: Do NOT skimp.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

10. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

If you feel lucky, you can take the $400 warranty bucks and buy lottery tickets!
    [​IMG]

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I have Toshiba's old 'F' model. It was supposed to be $2500, but the salesman knocked it down to $2300, and then offered me an extended warranty for $200. (Yeah, was that slick!)
    I did get it, and was I glad that I did, because about a year and half later, the whole picture had a major horizontal hold problem. the right and left corners of the picture were only about an inch away from each other. It's been fine ever since, so I say go for it.
    Glenn

12. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

13. Matt_Stevens

14. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

quote: They could not replace my set because ALL of the KV16 models have uneven brightness, which they know cannot be fixed and I made it clear that I would continue to demand they fix it until it was fixed, when of course, it cannot be fixed. So they caved and gave me a full credit. It had nothing to do with good customer service. It has everything to do with my not taking crap from retailers.[/quote]
    Exactly, you took no crap from the retailer. Ever tried to deal with an insurance company for a warranty claim after the manufacturer warranty went out ? Its not quite the same experience.
    quote:

15. Matt_Stevens