Opinion on a HTIB set? Or similar options?

Shane Kelley

Agent
Hi gang. I'm posting this question here as I think my biggest concern involves speakers.

I'm setting up a home theater system in a new home; living room is hardwood floor, so I'm looking for a wireless solution (at least in the rear, if not entirely).

I don't want to spend more than $500 for the A/V unit and 5.1 speaker set.

What I need:
- appropriate audio options for Blu-ray (except for 7.1)
- wireless rear
- optical in (at least 1, would like 2)
- coaxial (1)

I have an Xbox360 and Panasonic BD35 which will hook up to a Samsung 50" DLP with component and HDMI (audio to the reciever, of course).

So, I've come down to two different options (both of which include a built-in DVD player that I don't need), and I'm curious of opinions or other options that include wireless.

I'd love to get a dedicated receiver and complimentary speaker set, but I can't find any wireless speaker stand-alone options.

Thanx in advance for anyone's time and input on this.

Sony DAV-HDX589W
DAV-HDX589W | BRAVIA® Theater System | Sony | Sony Style USA

Panasonic SC-PT760
SC-PT760 - DVD Home Theater Systems - Shop and Compare at Panasonic

diegs

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Another audio site did a review of the Rocket Fish Wireless Rear Speaker kit and overall it was positive. It allows you to use any speakers you like by including a wireless transmitter, wireless receiver with a built in amplifier. Amazon has it listed, but not currently for sale currently. Amazon.com: Rocketfish Universal Wireless Rear Speaker Kit: Electronics

Any product like this would allow you to buy separates and have the wireless rears. A big downfall in general of wireless is interference and sound quality. Since everybody's house has various wireless devices, interference will vary so make sure your purchase is returnable.

With the budget of $500, it will take some shopping around, but if you don't want on board TrueHD, DTS-HD or Dolby Digital Plus decoding, then it might be possible.

Ecost sells B-stock receivers with HDMI 1.3a for $150 eCOST.com-Denon 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver W/ HDMI V1.3a ( AVR1508 ) - Denon AVR1508 REF (Receivers) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

The Speaker Company sells a 5.1 speaker set for $250 LCR18-HT 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System from The Speaker Company | Quality Speakers at Great Prices

That would leave $100 budget for the rear wireless kit and wire. If at all possible find a way to hide the wire and avoid the wireless, but I understand sometimes its just not doable.

Good Luck!

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Onkyo HTIB sets are consistently rated very highly here and are typically the first recommendation for people in a similar situation as you (looking for HTIB with decent connection options and good sound). The reason for this is that they come with a dedicated receiver instead of an integrated receiver and dvd player, which makes it easier/cheaper to upgrade a particular component in the future without having to replace everything, they have more connection options, and the Onkyo speakers are good compared to other HTIBs, which are typically quite weak.

Based on the above reasons, I would definitely go with the Onkyo over the Panasonic or Sony systems you mentioned. Can you go listen to them in person though? That is always a good thing to do.

Shane Kelley

Agent
I probably can't find a local dealer to listen to the Onkyo, but considering the room in question and the good luck I've had following opinions on HTF in the past, I'm more than comfortable with a blind purchase on this.

Is it possible to set up this 7.1 set with the typical 5.1 configuration and not lose anything in terms of the audio field? I don't think I've got an appropriate space to properly position the '6' and '7' speakers.

Shane Kelley

Agent
Guys, thanx again for your help.

After a bit more research, I was sold on the Onkyo HT-S6100, and I was able to pick it up for $549. Not a bad deal at all, I think.

I'll pick up some better wires (seems like a lot of people called out the included wire as thin and worth the upgrade) and a couple stands to eliminate having to mount anything anywhere (my first new home ... I'm a bit terrified with messing with anything!!)

Anyway, I really appreciate the guidance!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruksartbneha