What's new

Opinion Needed on These Choices (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I think I have narrowed it down (somewhat) to these DVD players- I was hoping I could get some input on these models (good or bad) by people who own them or have had some experience with them- thanks
VIDEO and SACD: DVPNS999ES / DVPNS755V / DVD2900

VIDEO / DVDA: DVDXP50 / DVD1600

sonny_b

Agent
I went with the Marantz DV8400 for DVDA/SACD and going with the Bravo D1 for DVI->DLP. I heard the Marantz video is still very good but is rumored to have (I'm not sure if its confirmed) CUE. I also heard that the 3900 will be more on par with the 8400's audio section. As far as BM, there's a huge thread at AVS regarding the 2900's BM and -10db LFE output and calibrating it accordingly.

Hope this confuses you even more...:)

-sonny

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tim,

The Denon 2900 does both DVD-A and SACD, not just SACD.

Are you saying you intend to go w/ a 2-player combo assuming that gives you best results for your budget (whatever that may be)?

For myself, I bought a Panny RP91 for non-16x9 DVDs and DVD-A -- well, the DVD-A part is an afterthought -- since I wanted aspect ratio scaling. I'm leaning toward a Philips 963sa for 16x9 DVDs (and non-R1 and/or PAL DVDs also) and CD/SACD although I might go w/ the Sony C222ES, if it does CD/SACD significantly better, but I don't expect that to be the case.

I would've gone w/ the Denon 2900 myself, but it doesn't do aspect ratio scaling (for letterboxed DVDs), which is a priority for me, and doesn't offer the flexibility of region-free playback as a plus feature. The Panny RP91 + Philips 963sa would cost ~$700 combined, which is still quite a bit less than the Denon. Of course, you might need to buy a video switcher and/or get external bass management (and such) that you might not need w/ the Denon.

_Man_

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have the Sony DVPNS755V DVD/SACD. For an entry level player, I have been very satisfied.

Tim L

Second Unit
Thanks for the replys- yes I may go the route of buying 2-players instead of one- it seems its hard to find a player that does everything just right-so it may be feasible to just have a little seperate area for listening to just music and another for movies- any other info appreciated
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks