Opinion about floor speakers.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Scott Henderson, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Scott Henderson

Scott Henderson Auditioning

I have researched around about floor standing speakers, and was wondering what you all thought about two speakers around $300-400. I know this is a simplistic question but after all of my research I couldn't come to a decent conclustion and trust everyone here to know the most about this subject. Thanks in advance.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Unless your room is large, I don't think I'd even bother with floorstanders for that money.....you can get a pretty nice pair of bookshelves for $400....add a sub later and you'll be in business. I have floorstanders (studio/100's), but that's mainly because I have a large room and smaller speakers were swallowed up in it. Just my $.02

3. Scott Henderson

Scott Henderson Auditioning

Thank you for your reply. If I were to buy bookshelves and a subwoofer, what would you recommend? My room is about 15 x 30 with hardwood floors. I'm sorry if I don't know a great deal about home theater but I am a sophomore in college and just got started in this subject...I do greatly appreciate your help however.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Scott,

Some suggestions:

- Your room is quite large (15' x 30')
    - Don't overlook the used market or Internet-only speaker companies (Axiom, etc.)
    - You'll limit yourself in the bass department with virtually any bookshelf speaker or floorstanding speakers, unless you get up in the sizes with floorstanding speakers.

Hopefully, you have a subwoofer to suppliment some of the bass that will be missing from the speakers your purchase. Given the price range, I'd look into some Paradigm Titans ($219/pr.) - and even less if purchased used from Audiogon or eBay. Very good sounding speakers for the money.

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I'd say if you can squeeze the extra money, the B&W DM602 S3s are about my most favorite bookshelf speakers available under $600 - should go for $500/pair. If you look at Audioreview.com for the 602s, you'll see all the write up on them

The imagining and clarity of them are unbelieveable. They are a bigger bookshelf speaker, but the extra cabinet gives way to lower frequency response. When I hooked them up by themselves I was amazed that they went as low as they did and sounded as good as they do. Go to a local B&W seller and have a listen!

Of Course you always need a subwoofer (no matter what you have [​IMG])

Paradigm Titans as mentioned above are a great sounding speaker as well, but you can tell the difference in where you money will go, just depends on where you want to spend your money and what you are looking for out of a set of speakers.

6. Shawn Stephens

Scott, I would second the bookshelf/sub reccomendation. Wayne gave me similar advice, and I have absolutely no regrets. For your room size, a larger bookshelf would work really well, like the B&W mentioned before, which is a great speaker. I just hooked up some Boston CR-75's last week w/ a new receiver, and they are great for their size. Just audition plenty of different speakers, and try different brands to see what you like.

7. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Harmanaudio.com has JBL Studio Series speakers for an insanely low price. I'd look at those also. User reviews can be found with a simple forum search.

8. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I started out looking at floorstanders and ended up with bookshelf speakers as well (Boston Acoustic VR-M60s). There was always going to be a sub in the system, but even without one, these had the best bass of the final three sets I considered (others were B&W CM2s and Paradigm Studio 20s--both also excellent speakers). In your price range, I'd second the Boston CR line, as well as B&W 600 series and the Paradigm Monitor series. Energy C-3s are also worth a listen. Of course, your ears must decide.