Opinion abou dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bruno mendonca, Mar 28, 2002.

1. bruno mendonca

bruno mendonca Auditioning

Hi ,
    I am want buy my new dvd player (first with progressive scan) but I would like from opinion about this dvd's below
    Philips Q50
    Marantz DV6200
    Sony DVD NS700P
    TOSHIBA 5700
    Who want give information and experience about this models.
    Please forgive me my terrible english
    bruno mendonca
    brazil

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Bruno,

Your English is fine.

Philips Q50---not quite cracked up to be what it promised. Firmware updates needed.

Marantz---don't have personal experience but I hear they are well regarded.

Sony 700---has the Chroma Bug but is a very nice player and is highly regarded.

Toshiba 5700---has the Chroma Bug but is also very nice. HDCD is a plus. I personally don't like the remote or the lack of proper reverse/still.

3. bruno mendonca

Dear Paul
    thank you for your answer, you tell me that your choice would be the MARANTZ
    bruno mendonca

4. Paul Clarke

Hello Bruno,

Yes, I think the Marantz would be a fine choice. I own the JVC 70BK and am very pleased but I do like Marantz products.

5. bruno mendonca

dear paul
    thanks again for answer my questions , but I d'ont know if decoder video is 10/27 or 10/54 MHZ.
    In manuals on line on the marantz's site is 10/27 mhz
    In contact with my local dealer in brazil is 10/54 MHZ
    Do you know the right information about that ?
    bruno mendonca

6. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Bruno:

Don't worry about the numbers, they don't tell the whole story. Even if the DACs are 54 vs. 27 - what if the rest of the machine is crap? Don't get hung up on numbers...

And I can tell you the Marantz DV-6200 is a stunning machine. No chroma bug and an absolutely gorgeous picture. The machine itself is well built and full of the typical Marantz class. Also, it will perform better than any of the other players you listed - not only for video, but more important for audio as well.

In that list, I think there is but one choice: the Marantz.

/Jeff

7. bruno mendonca

ok I undestand and I am very happy about your opinion about the marantz , but the philips Q50 have the Faroudja chip and 6200 marantz NO
    What can you tell me about this ??
    and I am curious about the DAC of the marantz is 27 or 54 ?
    bruno mendonca
    brazil

8. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Bruno;

I'm gonna lay down my opinion of deinterlacing solutions. Personally, I think people pay WAY too much attention to them. Are they important? Absolutely! But are they end-all and be-all of DVD player design? Of course not.

First off, we must tip our hats to the online Secrets publication which has opened our eyes to this issue. Good deinterlacing is essential when considering a progressive scan player. There are two types of material to be 'de-interlaced' - film-based material and video-based. Two very different beasts. Film-based will require 3:2 pulldown detection and compensation for accurate results. Video-based requires such things as good motion-adaptive circuitry to divy up a stellar image.

Bearing this in mind, consider how you use your DVD player. Do you use it mainly for 'mainstream' movies on DVD? This would imply that the majority (if not all) of your viewing will be film-based. With most material, all current deinterlacing solutions will be more than adequate. On properly flagged DVDs (of which most of them are), any deinterlacer will be fine - be it Genesis, Faroudja or Mediamatics. If the flags aren't correct, then yes some differences will appear between these chipsets. However, not ALL DVDs are flagged incorrectly. Also, when they are, the errors that occur are not always noticeable. Combing on 1 frame is probably not gonna bother you that much.

Now, if you watch a lot of video-based material, then maybe you should pay a bit more attention to the deinterlacer.

My point in this long diatribe is that people put too much faith in a player that has the Faroudja chip. I recently compared the Kenwood Sovereign 5-disc changer (a la Faroudja with DCDi) and my own Panasonic RP-91 (with the oft-maligned Genesis). The result? The Panny was better, in most cases. With most DVDs, which are flagged correctly, deinterlacing performance was indistinguishable. Remember, if everything is flagged correctly, Faroudja will do no better than Genesis. Now, I will admit with video material and those poorly flagged discs, the Kenwood was better - for deinterlacing.

But the reality was, I preferred the image of the Panasonic. I'm not talking about deinterlacing now - I'm talking about the overall image quality. Remember that in addition to the deinterlacer, there are DACs, MPEG decoders and many other bits and bobs. All of these contribute to image quality. And the Panasonic definitely looked better. Its deinterlacing was not as good - but thats not important to me for what I use the player for.

After all that, what can I tell you about the Marantz? It has the Mediamatics chipset, which would be similar to the Genesis - ie. works fine with properly flagged film, but not so hot for video. The DAC is 27 Mhz.

The Marantz is a classy piece to be sure. But the best way to find the right player for you is to decide how you want to use it and even audition them for yourself and see what you think.

/Jeff

9. Paul Clarke

Bruno,

I agree with Jeff. I know it can be frustrating when you're unable to find simple info, especially from the manufacturer.

But consider this, the Marantz VC5200 DVD Changer lists for the same as the DV6200 single player. The 6200 is said to be markedly superior to the 5200 in many areas including video conversion.

My JVC 70BK was listed on many websites (and still is) as having 10/27 video when in fact it has 10/54. Even Crutchfield.com (usually a great sources for tech info) still has not corrected it's website info. So even if you could find a reference somewhere, it wouldn't necessarily be correct.

Have you tried E-mailing Marantz? If it's that important to you I would do some more digging.

As to the chip...Faroujda is nice to have but if it is not well implemented in a reliable player, how valuable is it? The 70BK and others have the Mediamatic but they are 'Bug' free and perform beautifully. I would be more interested in feature differences such as aspect ratio control.

The 70BK has it. The Tosh 5700 has it. Both have great picture and sound.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The NAD T571 is essentially similar to the Marantz DVD changer but a little improved?
    I asked about the NAD earlier and got this info here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hlight=nad+dvd
    Here's a question. How much would I notice the de-interlacing when watching TV programs on DVD like Twin Peaks first season box set?