Opie and Anthony have been fired....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe McCabe, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

2. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

For a prank to be pulled at the time when the Catholic Church is enduring a sex abuse crisis is of bad taste. I will not comment anymore as it may bring a religious discussion.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

they're pretty popular, I'm sure someone will pick them up.

4. Louis Stettiner

Louis Stettiner Stunt Coordinator

First it was Boston and Now this. My Drive home will never be the same.

5. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I don't mean to start a flame up but, are these guys really funny to anybody? I mean, I listen to Howard Stern everyday (It's not easy since he's not on in Canada anymore so I have to pull in a Buffalo station on my little radio at work.) and I find him funny, smart and, at times a little rude and obnoxious but I enjoy his show. Opie and Anthony just seem to try too hard to be rude just for the sake of being rude on the radio. I just don't find the show at all entertaining. Maybe I'm missing something here. I could be wrong. By the way, Both Stern and Opie and Anthony are on 92.9 for all you Canadians.[​IMG]

6. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

7. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I can't say I am surprised. The Program Director was canned as well. They even pulled their website on WNEW.
    Sex in a church for a trip to Samuel Adams Brewery, hmm. Most stations just want you to be the 12th caller.
    edited for spelling [​IMG]

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

9. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I bought sirius satilite radio so I did not have to listen to the stupid and moron show (bob and tom) or the local "dawn patrol" or any of those other stupid idiots that radio stations insist on putting on the air in the morning, before the sirius radio, I listened to the classical music station or CD's in my car in the morning
    I have listened to Howard stern but I can only take him for about 30 minutes and for along time he was not aired locally here, would have been a big improment over the other idiots that were on

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

11. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I never cared for them... I do like Storm and Birdsey on WFNX 101.7, but even they are getting somewhat stale now. Shock Jockeys just arent as fresh and exciting as they were a few years back.

12. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Being in Sweden, I don't know the first thing about these guys, but I cannot see what they've done wrong (based on the information in the article). They host a radio show where the play practical jokes and are being rude. Fine. The have a contest where people should "have sex in risky places" to win prices. Fine. People must realize that if they go out of line, it's their responsinbility. O&A didn't specifically tell these guys to have sex in a church, did they?

In any case it boils down to an odd behaviour some people have. They feel that if they don't like a certain radio or tv show, they MUST do something about it. They call and demand for it to be taken off the air, when the easy solution is to simply stop watching/listening.

--Anders

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, somehow O & A had to know what was up and obviously condoned what was going on. They had somebody affiliated with the program doing on-air commentary so they can't claim innocence or ignorance as to what the couple was doing. I can see what you're saying that the radio station didn't go out and say "have sex in a Catholic church" but the fact that they had somebody doing commentary is problematic (as far as the law and wrongness goes).

I had no idea they were nationwide!! But then again I don't listen to talk radio either.

Jay

14. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

15. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

They call and demand for it to be taken off the air, when the easy solution is to simply stop watching/listening.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

That would be too easy. They also think they are avatars of good taste and they are going to make sure that everyone else lives by their rules.

I thought it was pretty funny when the guy in the article was going on about how it was good that there was a showing of corporate resposibility in an era of corporate irresponsibility. All I can say is, considering what has been going on inside the organization of which he is a member........he is one to talk.

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've never listened to the show but this just reeks of hypocrisy. So a couple had sex (well, made sounds as if they were having sex at least) in a church? Big frickin deal! And they're getting ARRESTED! Yeah, let's stop worrying about robbers, rapists, murderers, drunk drivers, arsonists and other criminals. Let's go after couples having sex outside their home. What a joke. [​IMG]
    /Mike

17. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I used to listen to them all the time when they were on WAAF in Boston. I never liked their syndicated show as much, as it seemed much more about shock value than just being plain funny -- Opie once did a bit where he recorded telemarketing calls he got and messed with the people. It was hilarious.
    Whenever I tuned into the syndicated one it was always stuff along the lines of sex in a church. Maybe I'm just an old prude now, but it just doesn't amuse me that much, at least, as a radio event.
    That said, I don't think they should have got kicked off the air for it. They encouraged it, but they're not the folks doing it (ahem...)
    They got kicked off in Boston for saying that mayor Menino was dead (it was April Fools Day!) which was just stupid. It's Opie and Anthony on WAAF and no one else is reporting it. And it's the first of April. And people BELIEVED them? Riiiight. The station and FCC just wanted a somewhat viable reason to bring down the thunder on them (to be fair not the station, by Entercom-Boston, the conglomerate that bought the station a few years back.)
    Oh well, I'm sure someone else will pick them up, and they'll by syndicated once again. They're ratings were quite high, and they have a following. Even my prudish self still finds that amusing, in moderation... [​IMG]

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Did the couple actually get "caught"? I was under the impression they didn't, it didn't say anything about that in the article. If they did, I could at least understand it a little more.

I couldn't care less if they do, if it's in a situation as described above.

/Mike

20. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

I actually heard this live. A few points for accuracy. For those not familiar with the show.
    True that places had point values.
    This was the third year they did this stunt.
    Paul Mercurio, who they call a 'producer' is a comedian who some of you may have heard of. He's not a regular producer of the show, more like a guest.
    Each of the couples, proabaly 6, had a 'spotter' communicating via cell phone to the studio for the 'play-by-play' so to speak.

I think there was more to it than just the 'sex act'. When they were 'caught' by security, Paul was a little indignant, and mouthing off to the guard. (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing tho). I think had they just cut their losses and left the scene, we would have never heard about it again.

Anyway, curious to see what they put in the time-slot. I can only listen to so much news. There is really nothing else on. Pathetic for NY, really.