Opie and Anthony back on terrestrial radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Michael St. Clair, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Michael St. Clair

news

They are playing on WAQX, a day delayed and censored. More stations to come?

2. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

They're being syndicated for 2 weeks in New York while Howard Stern is off the air.

3. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

Nah, he's back, and they're still on.

Stern is getting dropped by Citadel Broadcasting apparently, and Monday Morning, Beasely Broadcasting is dropping him in Miami.

Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2005
    Howard Stern Loses Miami Affiliate

This time it's Beasley Broadcast Group Sports/Talker WQAM/Miami that's cutting loose the Sirius Satellite Radio-bound "King of All Media." Stern will be replaced in morning drive by local host Hank Goldberg, who moves to wakeups from afternoon drive. It's the second time in less than a year that Stern has found himself without a home on the Miami radio dial. He was dropped from WBGG-FM early last year in the wake of the FCC's stepped-up indecency enforcement and was MIA in the market until being picked up by WQAM last August. No word yet on who will replace Goldberg in afternoon drive at the station.

4. Michael St. Clair

Some local markets are scared that Howard's going to take too many listeners to Sirius, so they are getting him off the air now. If they leave him on, they won't be able to stop him from talking about Sirius for the next 12 months. [​IMG]

Using the 24 hour delay, the Syracuse station can remove all of the explicit stuff and the XM references from the O&A show.

I can't think XM would allow O&A to be broadcast OTA if they were actually making money for XM.

5. Michael St. Clair

Here's some recap from relevant discussion on the Stern show today, courtesy of Mark's Friggin Website:

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Opie and Anthony have been ranking on Stern
    over the past two days about this.

Very funny listening.

7. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

The dick from ESPN? I know he is Miami based.

8. Joe McCabe

Joe McCabe Second Unit

How does that make sense exactly? What better promotion could there be, than running a censored O&A show on FM, and then letting people know that they can get the show uncensored on XM (as I understand the terms of that deal to be)
    And for the record, the word is that the subs for the O&A show are 20% higher than XM expected them to be at this point.

Considering that XM EXCEEDED it's projected subscriber numbers at the end of the year,that were made before Stern's signing with Sirius, I'd say that Stern has had little to no impact on XM whatsoever, and that probably has something to do with this...
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-12-27-consumer_x.htm

9. William Laughner

William Laughner Stunt Coordinator

The past two days? Doesn't that happen everyday? Ranking on Stern is an O&A staple. I am sure they love whats going on...only because Stern has actually mentioned their names during his show the past two days. All they want is a mention and they get it 2 days in a row...their "Love Me Daddy" syndrome is in full effect now.

The bit that Howard & Artie did on monday morning making fun of Fahrid and lumping Opie & Anthony in with all the other bad morning radio personalities was funnier than anything I have heard on O&A since getting them on XM.

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I think it's convenient (but laughable) to use USA Today's "make/break" list as a means to douse anyone [​IMG] After all, while I might not have cared for F9-11, it still sold well and isn't expected to sell big in 05, that's beyond the point.. and we'll wait and see on Atkins or Martha Stewart being losers (I think the merger of KMart and Sears will assist Martha, big time).

It's good that O&A can rail on Howard (then again, I dislike all of the parties involved) but I'm not sure it hurts or helps anyone. Howard being booted from some stations helps his cause in a sense in that it makes clear what's available on satellite. O&A having their show tape delayed and edited (and, after checking, the edits do include the right to remove all references to XM) I'm not sure how that helps XM, necessarily, but it might if people are aware that it's delayed and that an unedited version exists elsewhere *shrug*

Either way, both satellite networks had a very good year. SIRIUS subscription went up 5 fold through the year, to close at 1.1M. XM also grew at good numbers, to close at 2.7 "Active" and .4M "Gimme" (3.1 total, with 400,000 units being under factory free years right now) that's a big + for XM, which had a bad month in their when factory contracts expired that didn't look hot; so they also rallied at the end of the year.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just need XM stock to go back up to 40
    and I'll be a happy camper. [​IMG]

12. Michael St. Clair