Opeth = Beautiful music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary:Will, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Gary:Will

Gary:Will Auditioning

I felt that it was my duty has a person of high musical taste(In my opinion,lol) to let you guys in on a little-known gem in the music industry. Its hard to explain my feelings for this band, because they are just so amazing, so Ill let you guys listen for yourself.If you are interested,check out these songs and then do yourself and get some of their albums:

-The Moor
    -Benighted
    -Bleak
    -The Drapery Falls

Some of you might now like Opeth when you first hear them, because some people are turned off by death vocals(Growling), but if you listen to those songs all the way through, then hopefully you will see the talent, artistic genius, and beautiful music that this band makes.

p.s. No, Im not a member of the band or work in the sales department.

2. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I listen to Opeth too. Mikael Ackerfeldt is one of my favorite vocalists. Blackwater Park is my favorite release of theirs. I'm still digesting Deliverance.

3. Gary:Will

Yeah, BWP is my favorite album too. I was reading an interview and Mikael said that he saved alot of the good melodies for Damnation, so that could explain why Deliverance wasnt anything real special. Its still better than any crap thats on the radio.

::cheers to Opeth::

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hi Gary,
    I've been pimping out Opeth to this forum for a while myself. I also adore them- and I don't really listen to a lot of "death" or European metal.

What is "Damnation?" Is that a future album of some sort?
    My favorite album is Still Life, with Blackwater Park a close second. Deliverance is great, but doesn't have the same sense of grandeur that I got from the last few albums.

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Deliverance and Damnation were supposed to come out as a 2cd set. Deliverance being a heavy album and Damnation being a soft album with clean vocals. It got pushed back to a March release in the US now I think.

6. Gary:Will

^What he said. The two albums dont really have anything in common(No lyrical crossovers or anything) besides the names. He just happened to be recording them at the same time.I cant wait for it, because I love the softer songs just as much as the heavy ones.

7. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Yeah, that would be me...
    I've heard a few tracks by them and remember the music being outstanding, but I just really can't stand those "I am the devil" type vocals.
    Which Opeth album is the least imbued with them? I've been curious about Deliverance (hey, any album with 5 tracks over 10 minutes in length has my attention...[​IMG] ). How much of Beelzebub's vocals show up on that one?
    Sorry, no offense to those who like to hear Satan's growl through their speakers.

8. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Bob - I'd go with Blackwater Park. Mikael Ackerfeldt does have a hell of a "satan" voice though. Not like typical death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse or Dying Fetus.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That's interesting about Damnation. I can't wait to hear that. I also hope that, like on "Bleak" from Blackwater Park, they include a little singing from Steve Wilson.

Bob, I would say that Morningrise has the most "normal" vocals. However, that is before they changed the rhythm section and solidified their sound. It's still pretty good musically, just not their best album, IMO.

One thing I miss from Opeth is the concept album. My Arms and Still Life are that much better because the albums flow together nicely, and it makes the music seem "bigger."

10. Jose Solorzano

Jose Solorzano Auditioning

Gary:
    you got PM
    Jose

11. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

At a Porcupine Tree concert I attended last Fall, Steve Wilson smiled when he noticed a fan wearing an Opeth t-shirt near the stage.
    Another band I need to check out.
    Lately I've been getting into Steve Wilson's IEM!
    Wicked stuff [​IMG]

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

IEM? Steve Wilson has a solo project out?

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I was talking a while back with a guy about how much I enjoy Iced Earth and he recommended Opeth to me. I picked up Blackwater Park and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

15. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Those of you that like Opeth should check out the band Green Carnation. They released an album called Light of Day, Day of Darkness. It is one song which is 60 minutes long, all of it amazing. I have to be carefull when I start that disk though, because once I start I always end up listening for the whole hour.

BTW, no death vocals on this one. (Could be a good or bad thing depending on your taste).

16. Gary:Will

^Yeah, "Light of Day,Day of Darkness" is an amazing album. It flows together really well and doesnt get boring at all.Very good stuff!