operator overloading in c++

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Sep 13, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

somebody please help me on this simple problem. it is about operator overloading. i understand the concept, but i am not sure how to write it.

the following is a method to add two VECTOR object. the vector uses 3 different variables. say, vector A is (1,3,5). it is a vector in 3D space ( x, y and z coordinate ). i need to write a method that adds two vector objects ( v and w ) with operator overloading.

vector operator+(const vector& v, const vector& w)
    {
    vector z;
    z[0] = v[0] + w[0];
    z[1] = v[1] + w[1];
    z[2] = v[2] + w[2];

return z;
    }

is that how it is written? if not, let me know how to do it properly.

BIG thanks in advance

2. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

Unless you've previously defined operator[] for the vector class, or you've typedef'd vector as an array, you won't be able to access data like that.

In general, my vectors look like this:

struct vector {
    union {
    struct {
    float x, y, z; };
    float v[3]; };
    };

And then I can access the elements of any vector with .x, .y, .z or .v[0], .v[1], and .v[2].

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

oh, the struct definition is already written. all i am supposed to do is to fill the blanks. this course is not intro to c++. i just need to know how operator overloading works, because i still dont have a strong grasp about it.

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Felix,
    Unfortuntately I dont have time to get into the intrcacies of Operator Overloading now. However, check out the section in the C++ FAQ Lite. Operator Overloading