Operation Petticoat on Blu (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Worth said:
I haven't seen that many Olive releases, but I quite like the ones I have seen. They look very much like watching a freshly struck 35mm print. To me, that's the ultimate goal of home theatre - to feel like I'm watching the film on opening night in a good theatre.

There are many highly-lauded blu-rays that look too clean and scrubbed. Jaws, for example, looks very good, but really looks nothing like it did in 35mm prints.
Please, don't misrepresent my comments as to not liking Olive releases. Unlike you, I have seen many of the Olive BD releases as I've got 100 of their BD titles in my film library and will have several more by the end of this month.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thomas T said:
I so agree, Worth. I'm generalizing here but I suspect many HTFers are more techie and home theater oriented (duh! It's called HTF) than movie lovers. I still go to the movies at least once a week (I'm catching a matinee of Bong's Snowpiercer in about 2 hours) but so many have the "Oh, I'll wait and get the blu and watch it on my 55" screen" attitude. And why do I suspect when and if Altman's great McCabe And Mrs. Miller ever makes it to blu, there will be complaints about about how dark and grainy it looks? Well, maybe Warners will clean and scrub it for them.
Yes, you are generalizing and I wish you wouldn't talk that way about our membership here as we are film lovers first and foremost. We have a great group of people here and I don't like anybody disparaging their love for movies. It's that love that got us interested in this HT hobby to begin with. Some of us might have more expensive HT equipment than others, but it doesn't mean our passion for film is less than yours or anybody else's.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Worth said:
I haven't seen that many Olive releases, but I quite like the ones I have seen. They look very much like watching a freshly struck 35mm print. To me, that's the ultimate goal of home theatre - to feel like I'm watching the film on opening night in a good theatre.

There are many highly-lauded blu-rays that look too clean and scrubbed. Jaws, for example, looks very good, but really looks nothing like it did in 35mm prints.
While I treasure the virtually flawless digitally cleaned releases the other companies are releasing, I must say that I also enjoy these Olive releases of films like OPERATION PETTICOAT that, while they may have the occasional blemish on the source, actually look like a very nice first-run release print that I might have seen at the old Loew's State or Metropolitan Theatres back in Houston when I was a lad. I feel like I'm watching a film. I have few complaints with most of the Olive releases I've seen.

ThadK

Second Unit
Olive's release of WHO'S MINDING THE STORE? may be the single worst Blu-Ray I've ever bought. The B/W noirs I have from them are solid, but I dread seeing their label on any color film... A $30 price tag for a barebones release of this title is a bit much.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ThadK said:
Olive's release of WHO'S MINDING THE STORE? may be the single worst Blu-Ray I've ever bought. The B/W noirs I have from them are solid, but I dread seeing their label on any color film... A $30 price tag for a barebones release of this title is a bit much.
If I'd paid $30 then I would be upset too. However, I bought just about all of my Olive releases for much less than $30.

ThadK

Second Unit
If Jim Harwood says this is probably as good as OPERATION PETTICOAT will ever look, it's true, since he actually knows what he's talking about.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Yes, you are generalizing and I wish you wouldn't talk that way about our membership here as we are film lovers first and foremost. We have a great group of people here and I don't like anybody disparaging their love for movies. It's that love that got us interested in this HT hobby to begin with. Some of us might have more expensive HT equipment than others, but it doesn't mean our passion for film is less than yours or anybody else's.
Of all the HT forums that I am a member of this is the most film-centric and classics-centric forum. I think it is often even the other way around: Many members are just in it for the movies even though they may not actually look THAT good on Blu-ray. And I do not mean this in a negative way.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Crawford said:
If I'd paid $30 then I would be upset too. However, I bought just about all of my Olive releases for much less than $30.
I paid $15.89 apiece for Flying Tigers and Home of the Brave at Deep Discount.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just reviewed my orders on Amazon and found I ended up paying $24 for "Operation Petticoat". Can't remember what the original price was but now I seem to recall jumping on this one right after Amazon hiked the price about $5. Still glad I got it along with "Hit the Deck". Now if only Warner would release "Anchors Aweigh" on a well produced Blu (along with other Frank Sinatra / Gene Kelly efforts)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks