What's new

Operatic metal? (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
By operatic, I mean heavy metal that has an opera-like interlude or chorus. A good example is the beginning of Ozzy's 'Journey to the Centre of Etertiny'. Another is at the end of Ozzy's 'Diary of a Madman'.

I like to get the names of some specific songs if possible.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much anything by Iron Maiden, Dio, or other bands where the singer attempts vibrato that any Wagnerian heldentenor would cringe at. Try Maiden's "Piece of Mind", or Dio's solo stuff or his work with Black Sabbath. The guy from Dream Theater also uses some serious vibrato, and the band as a whole would probably fit your criteria of "operatic."

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A lot of gothic-type bands use this. Therion is a good example. Very dramatic. I also recommend Nightwish and After Forever. (A couple of the best female singers I've ever heard.

Jason

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
yes therion is a wicked example, just about any of their stuff but the later being the best. another band I like is called power symphony from Italy, female singer with some classical breaks.
Mike

Eric Taylor

Agent
Try the groups Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Dio, & In Flames for just a few. Kamelot is alot like Queensryche if you like them. But try these out for something new.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Edenbridge- Swedish 80s style power metal with a chick singer. Every cheesy metal stereotype with a bent towards the melodic and hippy. Very fun to listen to and one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Shadow Gallery- Queensryche squared. Lots of open and exaggerated dramatic vocals.

NP: Beethoven/Rasphigi, DVD-A

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
1. I would recommend Rage - Lingua Mortis, which is an album they did with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. The 10-minute long epics "In a Nameless Time" and "Alive But Dead" are spectacular.

2. The Scorpions also did a pretty good album with an orchestra called Moment of Glory.

3. Yngwie Malmsteen's Concerto For Electric Guitar is very good.

4. I would second the recommendations of Therion (especially Theli, Vovin, and Deggial) and Nightwish (Oceanborn is my favorite).

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery
Rhapsody
Eternity X
Blind Guardian
Yngwie Malmsteen
Glass Hammer (maybe, maybe not)
Fates Warning (early stuff Awaken The Guardian, The Spectre Within)

Eternity X and Rhapsody aren't for everyone. I have to be in the mood for it and even then I find myself thinking 'what the hell did I just listen to and why?'

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I recommend Dream Theater. The second disc on the new album Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence is very much like an opera.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't think you can go wrong with Nightwish. VERY operatic (their cover of "Phantom of the Opera" is pretty cool too), with a female singer.

/Mike

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I know some of the material listed here but have forgotten about it.

Onward and upward....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks