Opera 8 released!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Kimmo Jaskari, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Version 8 of the Opera web browser is available, for those of you who haven't spotted that yet.

I'm using it to write this and it works very well indeed. A good thing I've already spotted is that it can use the full version of the GMail web mail site, which I appreciate, so there has no doubt been a fair bit of work done "under the hood".

Seems like an excellent browser all round, and still just as fast and responsive in every aspect as was the 7.x versions.

http://www.opera.com

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

it took me a few tries to get to this page, so i thought i'd give the links, since you may or may not be able to get here.

CJ

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

A day or so after getting it... all in all, a very nice upgrade. They haven't gone wild with changes to the user interface (even though things have changed) and even better, you can configure things just as you want them very easily (right-click a panel, choose customize, then drag and drop or click on the next panel and drag and drop there... nifty.)

Speed is great, compatibility is better than ever, RSS newsfeeds work very well (I had no idea you can make a newsfeed out of your GMail inbox until I spotted the RSS icon in Opera 8), the feature that shows the owner of the certificate in secure https sites is also good (will make it easier to verify that the site you are on and the certificate matches, makes phishing harder)... and no worries using my old Opera 7 registration key, either.

Doesn't seem to have any bloat in the user interface either, still lightning fast and responsive to keyboard control.