Opera 7 - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_Y, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Opera 7 beta 1 is available for download. Anyone try it yet?

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Still very buggy, go to Opera home page , support forum and Opera 7 Beta section. Usable, but very earlier beta.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Very interesting view of things to come, and interesting to try out, but nowhere near ready to be my primary browser. They've finally revamped the news and mail clients to become useful (IMAP support, finally) and I figure at about 7.2 or 7.3 I'll switch from Opera 6, depending on how fast they work out the bugs.

Not very impressed by the new graphics in the user interface though, but it will no doubt evolve before it's out of beta.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Does it still cost money?

5. Steve_Ch

>>Does it still cost money?

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    You know, everytime I see a neat new browser, I go download it and realize its crap compared to IE. Netscape stinks. It takes over your whole computer and AOLizes it. Its way slower to load and it lacks some key shortcut commands. Any browser that doesnt allow you to shortcut a URL with ctrl-enter is off my list (for those who dont know, if you type in "google" in IE, it will search for matches for google and try adding www and .com to it and then go to the most likely result. I think nutscrape does this too, but IE has another feature thats better. If you type in "google" and then hit ctrl-enter, it adds www and .com around whatever you typed and goes there immediatly. Pretty slick) Any way, so I was watching TechTV and they recomended this new browser AvantBrowser. It has some really great features, but its much slower than IE and there are some features that you need to be able to toggle on/off quickly to really be usefull.

8. Steve_Ch

>>You know, everytime I see a neat new browser, I go download it and realize its crap compared to IE.

9. Steve_Ch

>>That's true, I forgot. For some reason I just can't stand adware, so I always think of getting it registered...

10. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

11. Kimmo Jaskari

No browser out there can hold a candle to Opera when it comes to speed of navigation, especially via the keyboard. Add mouse gestures etc if you like those and IE is left completely in the dust for speed an usability except for the fact that Opera still can't display all web pages properly - mostly because there are dullard web designers out there who insist on using IE-only features when designing pages.

I never find myself waiting for the browser to catch up to me with Opera whereas I always get extremely frustrated whenever I need to fire IE up once in a blue moon for some page that is designed to work for IE only; for instance, when it can't display a page it starts churning away and loads another page from the local disk to tell you it couldn't load the page it was trying to load, all of which adds extra time.

When starting a new window in IE it immediately proceeds to download a web page and is busy with that for many seconds - and then when I want to enter a page address, I have to click on the address line before I can even start typing!

In Opera I can just hit CTRL-N to get a clean window and can immediately start typing a web page address. No waiting.

12. Steve_Ch

Kimmo,
    Pretty much agree, took me almost a year switching between Opera and IE to slowly learn the finer point and then I am hooked. The one big problem with Opera, of course, is websites designers test their sites against IE, so there are some pretty major sites that do not work correctly with Opera (not saying it's right or wrong, spec or not, it's reality).
    For a while I was running a "surf" laptop, with a PII 333, 4G of HD and 64MB of 64MHz RAM. I have 98lite (stripped W98 of EVERYTHING, including the HTML engine), Opera 6, Pocomail. That machine was significant faster than a PIII 500 running 192MB (100 MHz) RAM and a 12G drive with W98SE. It used around 1G of hd.
    The one thing that I found interesting is in the O7 Beta forum, I was surprised with how many people were shocked with the memory usage (multiple of O6), hopefully, that will be corrected (not that it matters to me now, as I am on a 1G DDR machine [​IMG] ).

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Yeah, memory usage isn't critical for me either (although less is better of course). O7 looks like it does a significantly better job than O6 at displaying pages even in beta form, so things are looking good. Speed is still great and usability isn't any worse either, which is good.