Openme virus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

PC-Cillin get this thing but it could not clean it...tried looking for the file to just delete it to no avail. Now when I boot up the PC, I get this message saying Windows cannot find openme.exe...

Suggestions on how to get rid of this?

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yuck! I think there are places on the web where you can get the right file to remove it, but in the meantime, you don't want to open that file. (Ok, you knew that!)

If you can go through a selective startup and say 'no' when that pops up, you might be able to get into windows again, find it and remove it.

Knowing how 'DOS' works helps too, but I hope that someone else knows where to find the right utility.

Glenn

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Check the following places:
    • Win.ini (look for a Load= or Run= line with openme.exe, and remove the reference to openme.exe (but not the load= or run=).
    • System.ini, look for references to openme.exe and remove.
    • Regedit, check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run, RunOnce and RunServices for entries launching openme.exe.
    • Regedit, check HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and RunServices for entries launching openme.exe.
    • Startup folder(s), remove shortcuts to openme.exe.
    You can scan your system for viruses using this Symantec site.
    KJP

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Here's more info on openme.exe, including removal instructions.
    It seems to fall under the spyware category instead of a virus (equally evil in my opinion, but not destructive to your computer).
    KJP