What's new

Opening Shot of "The Godfather" (1 Viewer)

rhett

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I just had a quick question: What is the exact opening shot of THE GODFATHER? Is it of Brando in the shadows, or is it a zoom out of Bonasera? I think it is a zoom out of Bonasera, but I need some confirmation. I am out of town right now, otherwise I'd check it myself. Also, does the camera zoom into Bonasera's face, or zoom out from it? Thanks in advance!

OcieB

Stunt Coordinator
a voice over starts during the black and it fades in and you see Bonasera's face, and it slowly zooms out.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I believe in America. America has made my fortune. I raised my daughter in the American fashion; I gave her freedom, but taught her never to dishonor her family. She found a boy friend, not an Italian. She went to the movies with him, stayed out late. Two months ago he took her for a drive, with another boy friend. They made her drink whiskey and then they tried to take advantage of her. She resisted; she kept her honor. So they beat her like an animal. When I went to the hospital her nose was broken, her jaw was shattered and held together by wire, and she could not even weep because of the pain. I went to the Police like a good American. These two boys werearrested and brought to trial. The judge sentenced them to three years in prison, and suspended the sentence. Suspended sentence! They went free that very day. I stood in the courtroom like a fool, and those bastards, they smiled at me. Then I said to my wife, for Justice, we must go to The Godfather.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
to continue, it zooms all the way out to over Brando's shoulder.

Coppola initially wanted to start G3 the same way, this time the speaker was the bishop in charge of the Vatican Bank, and he was talking of course to Michael. he then felt it was too much exposition too early (it was a long conversation about the problems of the Vatican bank, the Corleones wanting to buy into Immobiliare etc), so he dropped it as an opening scene and edited it into a later scene. it's available as a deleted scene on the most-excellent DVD set, with commentary explaining the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks