opening ports on my router?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    how exactly would i do this? i use a program called bit torrent to download pearl jam concerts, and i read somewhere that you need to open up certain ports on your router to get better speeds. i have a cable connection, and im getting between 1k/s and 8 k/s, something is wrong here. anyone know how to do it? thanks for any help.

CJ

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ok i figured out how to do it, now i need to figure out which ports i need to forward to my router.

CJ

3. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

This FAQ should have what you're looking for, looks like the port range is 6881-6889. Good luck with BT, I haven't had much luck with it myself...granted, I've barely used it.

Let me know if it really makes a difference too, since I never opened extra ports, but was able to get up to 20K, regardless...maybe you were just getting an unpopular file.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i opened up those ports, and for me, it makes a substantial difference. i was downloading a 1.5gb vcd, and i was getting about 1-2k/s, and after i opened up the ports, i was getting about 30-80k/s. you should try it too, i think you will have much better luck with bt.