What's new

Opening and Tweaking the Toshiba H81 (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I'm just about to attempt disabling SVM and adjusting electronic and mechanical focus on my 50H81. I've got all the necessary info (thanks to Keohi and Chris White's site) but nothing explains exactly which way to open the set for each paticular adjustment.
It looks like screen removal will be easy because it's only connected with philips head screws. The front and back panels are attatched with hex type screws. I'm not sure what to use to get those off.
Where do I go in to disable SVM? To adjust focus, do I have to remove the front panel, or is there a way to access the controls by just removing the screen?
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Brian_J

Second Unit
I have done almost every tweak/adjustment to my 50H81 but have now verified that you do not need to actually remove the SVM wires. Starting in movie mode does the trick. That said, for the other adjustments you need a socket set like they sell at Home Depot. I believe its a 1/4 or 1/8 socket, cant remember which. You need a screwdriver that will accept the socket. Also easy to find at HD. There is actually about an $8 kit that carries everything you need.
You have to remove the front panel to remove the screen. You also have to remove the front panel to access the focus knobs that you use to do the electronic focus.
You might want to do a search at the Home Theater Spot site Toshiba forum "electronic and mechanical focus." When you remove the screen all you do is move it up about four or five inches and it will rest right back in place. This allows you to access the lenses and see adjustments on the screen without having to have a second person help or do the old string trick that you will see on the Keohi site. Again, you can search at the Spot for info.
These photos below show how to move the screen up for the electronic/mech focus: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/usaisbria...+50H81&.view=t
In the middle photo you will see a red and blue arrow pointing to the pins that the screen rests on. Normally, it rests on the top pins. You move the screen upward so that it rests on the lower pins.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...
[Edited last by Brian_J on September 30, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it looks like the order of operations for tweaking a Toshiba is
  1. SVM Disable
  2. Electronic Focus
  3. Mechanical Focus
  4. Service Convergence[/list=a]
    I could be wrong.
    ------------------
    campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

JoelW

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my 57h81 last Thursday. Out of the box, the picture was better than I expected but I had pretty serious geometry problems. The overall picture was offset down and to the right. I had about 2% overscan on the right and about 11% on the left. Also, I had about 8% overscan top and bottom. At first I only did a minor Avia calibration and the 9pt convergence.
This weekend, I broke into the service mode. I first tried to correct my problems using the 56pt convergence. That's isn't the correct way to do it... I ended up getting the overscan and positioning much, much better by utilizing the HPOS, VPOS, HIT and WID service parameters. The handy point is that you can bring up the overscan pattern in Avia, and it stays on the screen as you adjust the values.
After I corrected the positioning, I did a full 56pt convergence. It took me about 30 minutes, but it dramatically improved the picture. Since then I've done a more serious Avia calibration and have touched up the convergence a bit.
I started all my adjustments with SVM off, but I have yet to attempt a Mechanical or electrical focus yet. I will say that I am incredibly pleased with the picture right now, and even if it didn't get better I would be thrilled. In due time, I'm sure I'll tweak it more, but until the set gets 100 or so hours on it, I think I'll leave it for now.
I do plan on making a convergence grid from plexiglass to obtain perfect geometry in the near future. The great thing about these sets is the tremendous amount of knowledge on how to get them tweaked into shape. I can certainly see how a user who does nothing to their RPTV would be less than happy, but man the Toshiba can look incredible when tweaked properly. Now if they could only do something about that horrible glare screen...

David Head

Second Unit
Joel,
Have you seen Link Removed that shows how to shuffle the screens to remove the glare?
David

JoelW

Stunt Coordinator
I have not seen that particular site, but I have seen/read about how to reposition or remove the protective screen. I'm a little hesitant to do this due to a hyper black lab I have that tends to lick everything in site.
Luckily, I've just recently put up nice blinds that allow me to black out my room in broad daylight, so I can get around the problem.
Thanks for the link though. As I said before, I think the vast amount of information on how to get the most out of your Toshiba RPTV is what makes them the leader right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks