What's new

Open vs closed audio rack (1 Viewer)

If you don't have separates, but instead have something like the Onkyo 989 (130W at 8 ohms), do you need an open rack, or can you get by with a closed rack (e.g., Pioneer Elite rack) as long as you have sufficient open space around (and particularly above) the receiver? Would you (should you) have to cut out the back panel behind the receiver?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, open all the way. A cool amp is a happy amp.
biggrin.gif

A friend of mine has a Marantz SR-19EX in an enclosed, built-in bookshelf, and it doesn't seem to have a problem itself, but it heats up every other component in there a bit too much. So what my friend did was buy a PC power supply and fan and pop a small hole in the shelf above the receiver to vent the air into an adjacent section. The only key point is finding a nice, quiet fan. If your rack/ent. center is not attached, this might be more unsightly, but a bit more complicated. Just a thought.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Salamander offers "closed" racks, customized at your request, that have meshed metal on the panels, which will allow your components to breath.
Elbert

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you do want to put your stuff in an enclosed cabinet, definitely use a fan. I like keeping my stuff dust free, but you do want lots of ventilation. I am installing a fan and pretty much making the entire back part a filtered vent. I have to work it properly so that the air goes over the receiver first and then it is free to escape the cabinet. I have to draw air into the cabinet, so that there is positive pressure inside, that way, the air will circulate, drawing in cooling air and removing the hot air.
Here's a link to the quietest fans I have found:
http://www.papst.de/english/products...dcaxial01.html
For starters, download the 8000 series and you'll likely find something there. If not, I think in the 3000 or 4000 series there are good fans. Try to keep below 30 dB(A) if you want a quiet fan. I went for the 19-21 dB(A) fan but could have gone with a 23 or 26 dB(A) fan. Its 12 volts so I just picked up a small Radio Shack adapter.
And they aren't really expensive. i'm picking up an 8412 NGML myself.
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 27, 2001 at 07:55 AM]
[Edited last by Chris PC on September 27, 2001 at 07:59 AM]

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I am using 2 Salamander racks, with one set of perforated steel sides - one side in each rack. No front/back covers.
This way, from outside racks looks closed - but still have lot of air flow.
Equipment include Dish 6000 and Denon 5800.
_zjt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lots of Salamander users
biggrin.gif
My rack is also Salamander
icon14.gif

------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,

Thanks for the replies! I was all set on getting a Pioneer Elite rack to match a Mits WS-55908 or Pioneer Elite Pro 520-HD (not out yet), which have a black glossy finish. But this rack has a glass door and also has back panels, so apparently this is a really bad idea. Per your recommendations, I checked out http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/ ; NICE LOOKING RACKS :D! Any suggestions on particular models? It's going on a different wall than the TV, so it doesn't have to match color/finish exactly. It would be nice to have some extra room for DVDs, CDs, etc. Perhaps the 702 model??
If I go with something that has an open front (no glass door), should I still add a fan for the receiver?
Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it!

Hubert

Second Unit
My rack is also Salamander. I have cherry wood and aluminum posts, with perforated sides and perforated door panels. The model is the Synergy 40.
[Edited last by Hubert on September 27, 2001 at 05:10 PM]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked for a while to find my rack, and the two issues I had with Sanus were the glass shelves and the lack of adjustability. Same thing with Bell O'Getti. Both make nice racks, but I do not like glass shelves for this application. I find the adjustability as well as the ability to add on additional features as desired to be very useful, though the cost of the Salamander is quite a bit more, they are worth it, IMO.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
With Salamander Synergy you can create your own - there is a nice Java applet on Salamander web site letting you design whole wall. It is another source of fun - every 8 months move furniture around, add 2-3 pieces, and feel like brand new HT.
_zjt

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
John, I was'nt aware that Sanus made racks with glass shelves. Also, the Sanus rack I own is the sturdiest rack I have ever owned. All my gear in this rack weighs 235lbs.
You can purchase different shelf separators for these racks if you like so they are in some respect adjustable. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are talking about the EFAB series racks (which are very nice), I was speaking of the NF series, which are not as robust, but look very nice.
------------------

I picked up a Salamander brochure today and continued to browse their web site. I'm thinking about the 701 configuration (Synergy 40, for the components, on top of a Synergy 30 with 3 drawers for media). How does the perforated steel sides look? Is this unpainted steel or is it black? My TV (Mits WS-55908) is black and my speakers are cherry wood, so I'd like to stick with this color and wood choice for the rack. I think my wife might object to the rack if it has not sides, but I'm sketpical about how the perforated sides will look whether it is gray or black.
Custom configuring this is kind of fun... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks