What's new

OPEN RANGE cover art butchered... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yuk! Why do they screw with original movie poster art. The original is just so cool, the new one makes the movie look cheesy.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Arghhh, that cover makes it look like like a run of the mill made for TNT movie of the week. :thumbsdown:

Matt_P

Second Unit
That's exactly what I thought, Brian. When I first saw the new art, I thought someone made a cheap, knockoff western with the same title...then I realized it was Costner's picture!

Too bad...:thumbsdown:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Costner's face isn't quite big enough.

They need to call Columbia TriStar and speak with the guy who did Mel Gibson's The Patriot...:D

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
You know, I'm not the type that usually gets upset when they change the original cover art for the dvd release, but I am now. I agree with Brian, it does look like a movie of the week on TNT. Why couldn't they just keep the original cover?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Because they want to "fill the box cover totally with the picture; y'know, just like a 'full screen' DVD."

Sorry; couldn't resist.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
You know, I'm usually not one to complain about cover art. But this change is almost as bad as when they squished the image and added Mel Gibson into the image for Signs...terrible, just terrible... :thumbsdown:

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I know there's probably lots of examples, but to me, this one beats all.

I got interested in Beloved after seeing this poster (R2). Now, normally I don't buy a movie based on the cover art, bus this thing really intrigued me.

Now, I usually buy in Canada. Where it looks like this.

I wonder why they do this. Do the actors sell better than the atmosphere and tone of a movie? (Never mind, I guess they do.)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Big floating heads! Yeah! I never would have thought of that. Who wouldn't want to buy a western involving the disembodied heads of Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall?

Now, if someone really makes a film about floating heads, it will just be lost in the clutter when it is released on DVD. Every kid will be asking for "The Floating Head" movie for Christmas. Confused parents will instead purchase a record number of "Open Range" DVDs.

I see what Disney is up to!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I don't get upset by this anymore. Like Jeff said, that is why we go to dvd cover artwork pages.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
What these studios need to do is to take some advice from the people who do the cover art for regions outside R1. Far more often than not, their covers involve a sense of *cough* ART and less a sense of marketing. People are going to buy a film whether they want to or not...I don't think Kevin Costners big head is going to sway that many purchases.

Bruce

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale

Actually, lots of people will buy on impulse, so catchy artwork can help sell a DVD. I'm not commenting on any particular movie, but you can increase a disc's sales by redesigning the artwork.

For me, I don't much care one way or the other. I'm interested in the movie. I don't really care about the cover art.

Dennis

Second Unit
I have yet to see this movie but I saw the DVD artwork somewhere and it showed Kevin Costner standing inside a doorway with his gun or guns drawn with some men on horseback in the distance, is that the original poster art? If it wasn't, it was great.

That would make me want to buy it way more than the one that's shown in the link provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks