What's new

Open Range coming to dvd 01/20/04 (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I guess they didn't make westerns until 1990????????

By the way, if it wasn't for the ending, I thought Open Range would have been better than all three of those films.

Crawdaddy
You're right, my list is only 90s and newer movies, but someone earlier in the thread was talking about only modern westerns, not any of the classics.

Sadly, Ive never been much of a fan of westerns, so I havent ever seen any of the older ones from before the 90s.

I have a hard time watching older movies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
By the way, if it wasn't for the ending, I thought Open Range would have been better than all three of those films.
You and I talked about this, Crawdaddy.

I agree. The film should have ended 10 minutes
earlier than it did. It really took a magnificent
film and took it down a slight notch.

Still, for me, this is one of the most
anticipated DVDs of the year.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
But those ten minutes include more of Duvall doing his thing. And I gotta say, the actors were so good in their roles I just wanted more and more of them.
The ending isn't the strongest part of the movie, but I disagree that it somehow waters it down.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think what bothered me the most about this
film was what I found out afterwards....

I was trying to place who the friendly little
barnkeeper guy was.

I was told that he was the guy with the mouse
in The Green Mile. "Aaaah," I said,
"I really like that guy. One of my favorite
recent character actors."

That's when I was told that he recently passed
away. Very sad.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I share the opinion that Open Range was (quite surprisingly) a damn good film. I also agree that Costner really should have shaved the last 8-10 minutes off...or at least toned down the schmaltzometer just a tad.

Just a minor complaint on a movie I really liked a lot.

And if we're talking about quality "modern" westerns, I'd recommend Raimi's The Quick and the Dead. It's a whole lotta fun. ;)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
BV has revised the cover art... I guess the lure of the "Big Head" was too much for them to resist. I just *knew* that original cover art was too cool for a studio to actually release!

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

You will like this film, because there is a lot of Gus in Boss. Probably because there's a lot of Duvall in Gus. (I always chime in when someone mentions my favorite book, "Lonesome Dove").

I too hope this film isn't forgotten at Oscar time. Lot's of great performances, and the scenery is some of the most beautiful ever put on film, in my opinion. This and "Mystic River" are probably my two favorite movies this year, so far. Of course, a little art film about hobbits and Smeagols looms on the horizon.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD***
I didn't mind the ending so much, because it's a bit of a throwback to some of the older westerns which typically had a happy ending, with the good guy getting the girl. Plus, it didn't seem that Charlie had a very "happy" life up until that point, so I was wishing him a little good fortune.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks