open or closed room theater?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Roy Brooks, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Roy Brooks

Roy Brooks Agent

I'm it the planning stages of the theater and I have two locations in the basement possible. I looking at a front projection system.I'm looking for opinions as to the better location.
    1. this area is about 14' by 20'by 7.5'tall with a open rear wall back another 14'. this area has 3 large 5' wide 2' tall windows and just beyond the rear 20' mark is a 6' by 8' opening to the main floor. The opening was put there so the basement has plenty of natural light. This area would allow the theater to be more of a general viewing area that would be viewable from pool table and other room. But ambient lighting will be an issue as well a sound travelling through the rest of the house.

2. the second area would be 13' by 23'by 8'and would be closed off from other areas. (viewing from in the room only)the rrom could be better insulated to reduce sound transmission, and the only window in this room is a 3' by 2' window that would be closed in as it would be behind the screen. The room would be smaller in width and could only see sitting about 6 people. there is also a heating duct that will need to be boxed that runs the length of the room and into it by 4'wide and will reduce the head room to about 7'in that area.

Which would you choose?

2. Roy Brooks

Roy Brooks Agent

How come my posts always come out with this font?

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Roy...for true HT, dedicated purposes, #2 without a doubt!

Love to help with the room if I can!

4. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

Hi Roy. I think the side to choose depends on whether you want a dedicated home theater or a media room. If you truly want a dedicated home theater then go with the smaller side. You may be able to seat 8 instead of six if you check out various type of seating. My ht is only 1 foot wider than the one you plan on building and it easily handles seating for 8. Also, my ceiling is only 7' 2" and I am using an 8" riser for the second row.If you went with actual theater seats you might even be able to seat 10(5 seats per row), as they are not nearly as wide as say La-z Boy,or Berkline theater seating. If you just want to be able to watch something while shooting pool and the like, then go with the other side. That would be more of a media type room. I prefer the dedicated ht myself. The other side of the basement becomes a lobby or an area to hang out in before or after the movie. Good luck!

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

It's what you specified in your HTML:

[ font=impact,verdana,arial ][ size=2 ]How come my posts always come out with this font?[ /size ][ /font ]

6. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Hi Roy I had the same concerns as you, in the end what helped me make my decision (I went with a multi purpose semi - open setup) was that I wanted the basement to be a open family/friend environment.

The way I seperated my theatre from the rest of the basement areas was with half walls and curtains so that you can feel like your in a seperate room when you want that feeling. But when you want everyone to be able to say "watch Superbowl" they can see it no matter where they are. (at the bar, playing the arcade machines,playing air hockey,etc.)

Also since we (my family) play alot of board games, the theater area has a large coffee table where we can play chess, or other board games. And since it's a FPJ in the area it's not on all the time like a regular TV is, so everyone is paying attention to each other instead of the One-Eyed-God.

Anyway in the end you just need to figure what will make you (your family) the happiest. Congrats on the decision you make either way.

cheers,

Zed

7. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator