What's new

Open Letter to Samsung (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
To Whom It May Concern,

I bought a Samsung TSK3092WF 16:9 EDTV in Canada in mid August of 2001. Unfortunately, since I did not use cable at the time, plus busy with my move, plus no progressive DVD player (Panasonic RP-56 progressive was back ordered by more than a month), I did not use the TV at all until the end of September 2001.

That's when I realized that the convergence of the TV is slightly off, shadow, shifted too much to the left, having severe overscan, both sides of the 16:9 area (about 4 inch of each side) are lighter in brightness, and about an inch from the left side there is a half-inch dark vertical line. Not to mention bad pincushion problem on the left side of the screen.

Calling tech support, asking for service, asking for RMA and to get my TV service took literally TWO MONTHS. The repair center tested my TV, they claimed that there is nothing wrong with TV and everything is within specification. When I asked the technician their test method, they claimed to have tested it using 4:3 interlaced signal with a normal mode (4:3 picture with black bars on each side).

Telling the technician that checking only the 4:3 area of a 16:9 TV is improper and unprofessional yields nowhere, especially when the problem areas I mentioned are ALL (except for convergence and shadow) in the areas the refused to test. They (the technician and Samsung tech reps) rudely told me that that's what I'll get for buying new technology.

I would like this matter to be resolved since I have spent more than Cdn$2200 for the TV which improperly works. I think it's fair for me to ask for an RA number so I can return the TV back to where I purchased it and Samsung refunded their money so I can buy another TV without that many problems.

I know that it can be done since I've worked (and still am working) with several electronics companies and in severe cases like this, it can be done.

I don't know whatelse to do and wherelse to go. I'm not a rich guy whom $2200 doesn't mean much. In fact, this TV is the most expensive item I've ever bought other than the car.

If I sound begging for your mercy, it is because I am. I'm sick and tired of being ping-ponged around by your representatives for (by January 26th 2002) approximately 4 months. Especially I am sick and tired for being blamed for buying a 'new technology'.

If you know that there is a problem with your 16:9 TVs (as your representatives and technicians have alluded), why even offer such a 'new technology'?

Enough of my rant. What's your response? I still have more than 2 years warranty on this unit.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'll be bumping this post up every now and then so, in the worst case scenario, people of HTF will know how badly Samsung is treating their customer.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I have CCed the above letter to Samsung Canada, Samsung USA, Stereo Review, and The Widescreenreview.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I'm bumping this back up again. The more people read this the better. Moderators, if I'm out of line by doing this, you can just close this thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

Stop bumping up these posts immediately.

This is an annoying practice that we

frown upon here.

While I feel very badly for your situation,

I doubt any representatives will personally

respond through this forum, and I can't have this

forum used as a personal venting ground for one

individual's problem.

Thank You

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Well, I did say POLITELY, and I quote, "Moderators, if I'm out of line by doing this, you can just close this thread."

"I can't have this forum used as a personal venting ground for one individual's problem."

I thought by making this problem known to other HTF member is DOING A SERVICE so if anybody is buying a Samsung product they will know what they are getting into.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I finally received a letter back from Samsung. It seems like Samsung keeps changing their staff here in Canada. The following is the reply. I don't know what is the outcome of this matter, but I will keep you guys posted.

------------

Hi,

Where is this TV now? Can you fax me any paperwork you might have (work

orders from service center/bill of sale and I will investigate immediately

and advise.

Thanks

Technical Service Rep.

Samsung Electronics Canada Inc

------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks