What's new

Open letter to DVD cover designers, suggestion for consolidation... (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
After following this thread and printing Matt's awesome Jurassic Park DTS covers I have some requests and suggestions to those who have the skill to create these covers.
First off, would anyone be interested in creating a single case cover for Dances With Wolves DTS? In conjunction with an Amaray single space/double disc keepcase it would be a good way to clean up the collection (vs. the original box of two snappers). Which brings me to me second request/suggestion...
For those interested in consolidating their growing collections perhaps replacement covers could be created for other double disc sets, either housed in the Alpha two-space keepcase (ex. A Bug's Life Collector's Edition) or in separate keepcases (ex. Ghostbusters 1 & 2) and "squished" in to the Amaray hinged case. Personally, I like the beefy look of the double cases but since I ran out of room long ago it would probably be a good idea to start compiling discs. Suggestions (at least to start, looking at my collection):
  • Dances With Wolves DTS
  • The Rock Criterion
  • Armageddon Criterion
  • A Bug's Life Collector's
  • Tarzan Collector's
  • The Emperor's New Groove Collector's
  • Ghostbusters
  • Lethal Weapon 1/2 and 3/4 (4 snappers to 2 hinged keepcases)
  • Independence Day (& other Fox 5-Star editions, with the exception of the new Die Hard release which is simply too cool to have otherwise)
  • Spartacus Criterion
  • The Abyss
  • Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile
For Fox's 5-Star collections is there silver foil inkjet paper commerically available? Would be a nice touch. The single/double Amaray cases are available here .
I'm not recommending new designs - just the existing graphics where possible but with a thinner spine to fit the single space/double disc case. In the case of separate titles like Ghostbusters or Shawshank/Green Mile the sky's the limit.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Anybody?
I'd be very interested in this project. Unfortunately, I'd be very little help because I don't have a scanner or very many dvds, but I do want to start transferring my non keepcases over to keepcase.
This dvd cover site is a great start, but we need more covers! Link Removed
Titles I have that aren't in keepcases:
Unbreakable
The Iron Giant
Unforgiven
The Shawshank Redemption
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
I for one don't really mind the differences between double keepcases and double slim keepcases, though that may change when I see how everything as just keepcases looks.
I would think that providing alternate art with wide spines, for those that want double keepcases on those movies (gladiator, castaway etc.)that were released in slims, is a must; the reverse would also be necessary (Dogma, Criterion Spartacus etc.)
I'd love to see this project take off, it'd be a great aid to many people.
[Edited last by Adam_S on August 13, 2001 at 01:23 AM]

PatrickM

Screenwriter
If there are some talented people out there may I also throw in a cover for the third disc of Cleopatra that was placed in such an unbelievable bad place in the cardboard sleeve.
I presently have it in an AOL case with no artwork.
Thanks in advance,
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I to would be interested in obtaining some of the results from this project.
Frank
------------------
movie.jpg
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nightdog&acceptadult=true

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
A Close Encounters cover without the mothership would also be a lot better.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...providing alternate art with wide spines, for those that want double keepcases...
The wide spines would be nice, but the problem is with printing them out. If you're just using plain paper than a legal sheet will work perfectly. If, however, you are using inkjet and want the best quality you will likely use photo paper (which I've never seen in legal size - someone let us know if otherwise). The single space insert fits perfectly on a letter sized sheet. Hence the motivation behind my suggestion for single space/double disc above. I'm still amazed at how well the JP covers turned out when using quality photo paper!
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I asked my dad (who sells copiers, printers etc.) if photo quality paper came in legal sizes, and it does, it's just much more expensive. So it's a possibilty of those that want to go ahead and create covers with large spines.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'd love to see 'double covers' for Star Trek and Twilight Zone discs so I can combine those into the slimmer cases too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.