Open letter to DVD cover designers, suggestion for consolidation...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

After following this thread and printing Matt's awesome Jurassic Park DTS covers I have some requests and suggestions to those who have the skill to create these covers.
    First off, would anyone be interested in creating a single case cover for Dances With Wolves DTS? In conjunction with an Amaray single space/double disc keepcase it would be a good way to clean up the collection (vs. the original box of two snappers). Which brings me to me second request/suggestion...
    For those interested in consolidating their growing collections perhaps replacement covers could be created for other double disc sets, either housed in the Alpha two-space keepcase (ex. A Bug's Life Collector's Edition) or in separate keepcases (ex. Ghostbusters 1 & 2) and "squished" in to the Amaray hinged case. Personally, I like the beefy look of the double cases but since I ran out of room long ago it would probably be a good idea to start compiling discs. Suggestions (at least to start, looking at my collection):
    • Dances With Wolves DTS
    • The Rock Criterion
    • Armageddon Criterion
    • A Bug's Life Collector's
    • Tarzan Collector's
    • The Emperor's New Groove Collector's
    • Ghostbusters
    • Lethal Weapon 1/2 and 3/4 (4 snappers to 2 hinged keepcases)
    • Independence Day (& other Fox 5-Star editions, with the exception of the new Die Hard release which is simply too cool to have otherwise)
    • Spartacus Criterion
    • The Abyss
    • Shawshank Redemption/Green Mile
    For Fox's 5-Star collections is there silver foil inkjet paper commerically available? Would be a nice touch. The single/double Amaray cases are available here .
    I'm not recommending new designs - just the existing graphics where possible but with a thinner spine to fit the single space/double disc case. In the case of separate titles like Ghostbusters or Shawshank/Green Mile the sky's the limit.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Anybody?
    I'd be very interested in this project. Unfortunately, I'd be very little help because I don't have a scanner or very many dvds, but I do want to start transferring my non keepcases over to keepcase.
    This dvd cover site is a great start, but we need more covers! http://www.realitycrash.com/dvdcovers.htm
    Titles I have that aren't in keepcases:
    Unbreakable
    The Iron Giant
    Unforgiven
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    I for one don't really mind the differences between double keepcases and double slim keepcases, though that may change when I see how everything as just keepcases looks.
    I would think that providing alternate art with wide spines, for those that want double keepcases on those movies (gladiator, castaway etc.)that were released in slims, is a must; the reverse would also be necessary (Dogma, Criterion Spartacus etc.)
    I'd love to see this project take off, it'd be a great aid to many people.
    [Edited last by Adam_S on August 13, 2001 at 01:23 AM]

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

If there are some talented people out there may I also throw in a cover for the third disc of Cleopatra that was placed in such an unbelievable bad place in the cardboard sleeve.
    I presently have it in an AOL case with no artwork.
    Thanks in advance,
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

4. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

5. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
  6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

A Close Encounters cover without the mothership would also be a lot better.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I asked my dad (who sells copiers, printers etc.) if photo quality paper came in legal sizes, and it does, it's just much more expensive. So it's a possibilty of those that want to go ahead and create covers with large spines.

9. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I'd love to see 'double covers' for Star Trek and Twilight Zone discs so I can combine those into the slimmer cases too.