Open Ceiling in HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryT, Sep 15, 2001.

1. BarryT

BarryT Auditioning

Something I have been considering for my HT to be developed soon is an "open ceiling". Presently the room I will use (15' x 20', which I may downsize to 12' x 19' to make it totally dedicated) has a suspended ceiling but because it is a basement the height is only 88 inches. I was considering taking the suspended ceiling out and finishing/painting the floor joists to have that "industrial look" that is so popular in bars etc. these days, and which would also add another 10" of height between joists. Can anybody comment on how this will affect acoustics? I will be able to finish the rest of the room walls however needed to compensate if necessary and am not concerned about soundproofing to the upstairs. Thanks.

2. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

I put my home theater in the basement with a drop ceiling at about the same height (7ft.). I'm no accoustical engineer but I gotta think the sound is better with the ceiling. First of all I bought the 3/4 inch 2'x2' ceiling tile with the 1/4" reveal on all sides. This stuff has the highest accoustical damping properties available in drop ceilings. This is important if you dont want to hear every movie in every room in the house. Without the ceiling, I would think the ceiling topography of joists, ducts, etc. would create a lot of unwanted sonic reflections.
    I love the way it sounds in my home, and I guarantee you'll love the way it looks if you take your time and do the job right. A well done drop ceiling of the more expensive tiles can look awesome. Way better than drywall, and affords you the access to any pipes or ducts you might need. Since you're almost always sitting in the theater room anyway, the height has never been an issue.
    Good luck, hope this helped.