Open box TV, bad idea?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chad Ellinger, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I recently saw a Sony KV-34HS510 TV available on clearance for $1280. When I went to ask about it, the salesperson told me that only open box models were available (for about $1100). The dealer is reputable (Tweeter), but still, I'm hesitant to jump on this deal because it's open box.

Any thoughts on buying an open box TV? Should I bite the bullet and buy it, or just keep looking?

2. John S

John S Producer

Man, I'd make em hook it up, and check it out, right there in the store.... A good enough deal would probably have me going for one though. As a matter of fact, I sort of did, I bought factory refurbished.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thing is, you know what everybody says about buying open-box displays. And it's true. It doesn't take long for a good set to be ruined due to having been overdriven in torch mode. I'd shy away.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would find out what type of "open box" the sets were. Opened because it was a display model, opened because a customer din't like the set & returned it or opened because it was returned because of a problem & then was repaired. Tweeter is a good company though & stands behind their products so I might give it a shot unless it was a display model that was in the "tourch" mode & "On" for 12 hours a day for the last year or so. So see what kind of information Tweeter will give you about the sets & my guess would be that they only would have one on display so the others must be returns for one of the reasons above.

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Also, see if Tweeter will throw in some kind of service plan if in case the TV dies after the manufacture's warranty.

I would not buy an open box no matter how cheap it is. You are already walking into the store, knowing what you want and knowing how much that you need to spend.

You are better off buying a tv from a private party, that way you have some idea on how much the set has been used and what kinds of measure that they took to prevent the obvious.